First time fly sparging- water calculations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talonracer67

Reaction score
Just for fun I tried fly sparging this weekend. I normally batch sparge. My mash tun is a 10 gallon cooler, had a bazooka tube but I got nothing but stuck sparges. So I got a false bottom. Since i had the false bottom I thought I'd try some ghetto fly sparge. Took an extra 5 gallon mash tun and set in on a chair above my 10 gallon. Ran a hose from it to the piece of tinfoil with holes in it. Easy!! I made the Zombie dust clone from the recipe section. One thing that made me scratch my head, the recipe was for a 6 gallon batch so I was shooting for 7.5 gallons from my mash pre-boil. Put all the pertinent info into my trusty mash/sparge calculator. Thing was after my sparge water ran out and my tun emptied I was still over a gallon short!! I had to heat up an extra gallon and pour it in, so my last gallon was a batch sparge.

So why was the calculator so far off? I checked my final runnings and they were 1.025. Not complaining my expected OG was 1.065 and I hit 1.072. Very impressed but the water issue has me stumped. Next time I'm gonna heat extra water just in case.

Which calculator did you use? Obviously there was something wrong in the set up.

I do use brewing software, but I always figure the sparge water amount by hand also. It's pretty easy. Grain absorbs about .125 gallons per pound of grain, so I figure 10 pounds of grain will absorb 1.25 gallons. I don't have any deadspace losses.

So, if I have 10 pounds of grain and I mash in with 15 quarts, I will get out 2.5 gallons of that. Then I"d need 4.5 gallons of sparge water to get to my boil volume of 7 gallons- or 8.25 gallons of water.

However, since I fly sparge, I only sparge up to my boil volume so I will generally start with quite a bit more as to not run the MLT dry.

Why even bother doing calculations?

Mash as usual. Heat a bunch of water. Sparge until you get the volume you need. Use any extra hot water to clean the tun.

However, since I fly sparge, I only sparge up to my boil volume so I will generally start with quite a bit more as to not run the MLT dry.

Mash as usual. Heat a bunch of water. Sparge until you get the volume you need. Use any extra hot water to clean the tun.

+1 and +1

Latest posts

Back