First time ever - no signs of fermentation x24 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
Brewing about 5 years now and for the first time ever I pitched WLP550 into low 60s wort, left rise to room temp (67-ish) and had zero airlock activity after 24 hrs. Popped the top to see absolutely nothing but sweet, clear-ish wort. Nary a yeast bubble, raft, or other such action. Well I'll be damned.

This was a Whitelabs Purepitch pack and it went into a Patersbier (about 1.050 OG). No, ahem, starter. As a remedy I went to LHBS and picked up the original yeast I had intended anyway (WLP530), pitched, and then this am she's blurping away happily. Guess it really does happen...but all's well in the end. :mug:

I have a starter of 550 going right now, came from a pack of 1 month old expired yeast and it was not doing anything at all in the first 18 hours but now there's bubbles forming and it's looking like it's going to make a nice krausen. I say that to say maybe that strain is a late starter? I've never used it so not really sure. Anyway at least the 530 got it going for you so that's cool

Yup maybe its a bit of a laggard. Can't remember whether it was slow to start on that tripel I made a while back, but what a great beer. Good on ya for making the starter. Combination of time crunch and laziness on my part.

Back