First time equipment advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbaker

Reaction score
Hi all. Now that graduation is near I am finally ready to start home brewing! I'm very excited, but I'm also the type of person that spends way too much time dwelling over selections to ensure I get everything I will want and not just for now. I have a local home brew shop that carries everything I would need, but I want to make sure I'm getting equipment that can grow with my obsession that is beer! I have a full size kegerator and had planned on serving from the cornys instead of bottling, so I really only see me brewing a few 5 gallon batches before I want to start brewing 10, 15, etc... With that being said, what kind of setup would you guys recommend? My garage is probably cleaner than my house, and my kitchen is a bit on the small side with a microwave above the oven that could hinder the size of brew pots I could accommodate.

I'd appreciate any info or links you guys could provide to a newbie! Thanks,
Landon B

Well, for 10 gallon batches, most folks use sanke kegs, cut open (15.5 gals total) and use a turkey (propane) burner outside to brew. You can also buy pots big enough. But on top of that, always, always buy bigger first so you only buy once. You can use a large pot and mash tun for 5 gal batches with no major issues.

Twofox said:
Well, for 10 gallon batches, most folks use sanke kegs, cut open (15.5 gals total) and use a turkey (propane) burner outside to brew. You can also buy pots big enough. But on top of that, always, always buy bigger first so you only buy once. You can use a large pot and mash tun for 5 gal batches with no major issues.

Thank for the heads up, I've seen a few set ups with the turkey burners and Sanke kegs, guess I need to just start looking around for a Sanke to convert! Thanks

Back