First time dry hopping and using gelatin in keg. Bitterness question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
A little over 3 weeks ago, I brewed up a batch of BierMuncher's Fire Rock Pale Ale clone. A few days before transferring the batch to keg, I moved the carboy to my keg fridge to crash it. It sat in there for a couple of days and this past Saturday, I racked it over to a keg. At that time I added gelatin and dry hopped in the keg with approx. 3/4 oz of centennial. I took a sample from the keg tonight. Since I use the set it and forget it method to carb, it was nowhere close to being carbed yet, but man was it harshly bitter (and even had a pronounced melon/honeydew like taste to it as strange as that might sound).

Since everything tasted fine prior to kegging, I'm assuming this has something to do with the gelatin and/or dry hopping in the keg. This is the first time I've done either in the keg, and have never noticed this in any of my previously kegged batches. Also, I didn't pull off a full pint to discard, only a small glass prior to taking the sample...but it didn't taste at all yeasty. I know this will all mellow and probably all drop out with conditioning, but just curious if this is consistent with other people's findings when adding either to the keg.

Never had harsh bitter from dry hop in kegs. Only tried Gelatin once and it did nothing, but that was due to operator error.

You probably needed to pour off a bit more, you might be getting some of the gunk.

I'm interested to know this as well. I just brewed the same recipe 2.5 weeks ago. I had to leave for a business trip yesterday and won't be home for another week and was thinking about dry hopping in the keg instead of the primary and trying gelatin for the first time. Subscribed.

You might have gotten hop bits in your glass.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe since the gelatin dropped the yeast out of suspension, that I might have gotten a lot of yeast/hop particles in the sample.

Not stressed over this or anything, just curious. Cheers!

I'm interested to know this as well. I just brewed the same recipe 2.5 weeks ago. I had to leave for a business trip yesterday and won't be home for another week and was thinking about dry hopping in the keg instead of the primary and trying gelatin for the first time. Subscribed.

After a few more days and the beer was fully kegged, the hop bitterness was back to normal and that odd honeydew flavor completely disappeared. I think I was just getting some residual gunk from the gelatin. All is good now.

HossTheGreat said:
After a few more days and the beer was fully kegged, the hop bitterness was back to normal and that odd honeydew flavor completely disappeared. I think I was just getting some residual gunk from the gelatin. All is good now.

How did the gelatin work out for you? I just used gelatin for the first time last night. Poured it into a batch of kegged IIPA. I'm going to give it a few days before I check it.

I've found that yeast can taste bitter when it's from a hoppy beer. Your gelatin probably pulled some yeast to the bottom, where you're drawing from.

My usual process is to gelatin before kegging, to leave all that extra yeast behind. I give it about 3 days.

How did the gelatin work out for you? I just used gelatin for the first time last night. Poured it into a batch of kegged IIPA. I'm going to give it a few days before I check it.

So far so good. Although I have a bit of chill haze still it is much clearer at 2 weeks in the keg then it has been in the past.

After 23 years I have just started using gelatin, don't know why I never bothered before, the results are amazing. My Oktoberfest looks as bright as if I had run it through a D.E. filter.

After 23 years I have just started using gelatin, don't know why I never bothered before, the results are amazing. My Oktoberfest looks as bright as if I had run it through a D.E. filter.

I have always had very good results with gelatin as well. In reference to the OP though, I usually add gelatin and let it do its thing before going into the keg. That works best for me.

I get the melon/cantaloupe every time I dry hop in the keg. the cold brings out flavors i don't like.

Last one I tried was Denny's Rye IPA, and it was great until I keg hopped. then it tasted like melon...

Latest posts

Back