First time doing a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
I've been looking all over the place at different pitching instructions for lagers. I have found about every possible combinations of procedures I can imagine, so I picked the one that was the simplest for me to do.

I made a starter at 72 degrees and 18h later I pitched it into 72 degree wort. I moved the carboy to my fridge and set the temp to my target temperature which is 53 degrees.

I only pitched an hour ago, but does this sound like it will work?

Thanks,

Stand

You should always pitch below fermentation temp and let it free rise to your set temperature, or pitch at fermentation temperature. Don't be surprised if you get some off flavors from pitching at that temperature.

I just did my first lager as well and made sure to thoroughly read and research before brewing and pitching the yeast, not after when it is too late. I found plenty of information and instructions available on the internet/forums and not a single one led me to pitching lager yeast at such a high temperature. I don't even pitch ale yeast at a temperature like that unless fermenting at that temperature.

As a matter of fact I did read a number of guides with conflicting information about pitching temperature. With the amount of prep time I had before the only weekend for the next month in which I will be able to make beer, I went ahead with the procedure that would work.

On second glance I have seen some people talk about stepping down the temp 5 degrees per day, and I thought I had time for that to be another option.

It's fermenting like gangbusters and the temp is reading at 62 now.

There has been a lot of conflicting information regarding lager temps come out lately. For example:

http://brulosophy.com/2015/06/22/fermentation-temperature-pt-3-lager-yeast-exbeeriment-results/

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

In general, people do mention pitching lager yeast about 5F colder than your anticipated ferment temp and letting it slowly warm. I bet your process will work though with a proper lagering time. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

I would try to get your fermenting temp down a little bit though. Personally, I still try to stay between 48f and 56f for my lagers.

As a matter of fact I did read a number of guides with conflicting information about pitching temperature. With the amount of prep time I had before the only weekend for the next month in which I will be able to make beer, I went ahead with the procedure that would work.

On second glance I have seen some people talk about stepping down the temp 5 degrees per day, and I thought I had time for that to be another option.

It's fermenting like gangbusters and the temp is reading at 62 now.

The part that you are referring to stepping down 5 degrees per day is after primary fermentation has finished. After primary fermentation has finished and you do a diacetyl rest if needed, you slowly drop the temperature to lager temperature, hence "lagering" the beer. This should be more like 2 degrees per day from what I understand all the way down to 32F. The closer to freezing the better for the end product. This does not mean you should initially pitch above lager yeast temperatures though and drop it to fermentation temp afterwards.

Latest posts

Back