First Time Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MunkyJunky

Reaction score
Heyhey everyone -

My girlfriend got me a real ale brewing kit about a year ago, and I've only just got round to getting equipment to brew it. I picked up a fermenting bin, pressure barrel, and siphoning kit earlier, and hope to start brewing in a few days time.

My first question: The fermenting bin (1) (which is essentially a 5 gallon plastic bin with what seems an airtight lid) doesn't look like it has a place to let any CO2 out. Now, my understanding is that during the first fermentation plenty of CO2 will be released. My main concern is the container bursting. How likely is this to happen? I'm guessing not very, but I'd rather be safe than beer-less.

Second: Is re-carbonation after second fermentation required, or is that only for 'fizzy' beers? (I don't mean fizzy like you expect cola to be, but I hope you get what I mean).

1- http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/Home-Brewing/Youngs-u-Brew-Fermentation-Barrel/invt/0022555?htxt=PsAGyAqy/DSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG/xTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

ad 1)
Your fermentation bin needs to have a hole in the lid where you put an air-lock. An air-lock is a small plastic thing that lets gas out (CO2) but no air in.

ad 2)
you don't need a secondary fermentation. Let it ferment for about 3 weeks on primary and you'll be set (I'm assuming that you use an ale-yeast)

Your fermentation bin needs to have a hole in the lid where you put an air-lock. An air-lock is a small plastic thing that lets gas out (CO2) but no air in.

That's what I thought, which means I'll have to get a new lid for my fermenter. Or, cut a whole in the top for the air-lock to go in. Thanks!

Heyhey everyone -

My girlfriend got me a real ale brewing kit about a year ago, and I've only just got round to getting equipment to brew it.

I have to ask...Did you store the yeast and the hops correctly after getting the kit?

I would check to make sure your yeast hasn't expired and your hops are still "fresh" before brewing up that kit.

Either way, have fun brewing!

Latest posts

Back