First time brewing questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burloch

Reaction score
Hey guys just a few questions. Currently on day 3 of my first brew. Replaced the blowoff tube with the airlock today, as the bubbling has stopped. This is a Milkshake IPA, the kit is from Brooklyn Brew Shop. Does the sediment on the bottom look normal? Also, the "stuff" towards the top of the fermentor, is that normal? As per the directions, I added more hops today, and the beer had a strange odor. Not a terrible smell, just odd. Does all this sound normal so far? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200720_182053.jpg
    20200720_182053.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 70
The level of sediment looks OK (assuming it's an all-grain batch). My small-batch all-grain batches generally have more sediment than my extract batches (I just dump the kettle contents into the fermenter).

The "stuff" at the top is normal as well.

As for the odors, it's good to observe (look, taste, smell) - but don't take any action.

The beer will likely come out fine.

Thank you so much guys, appreciate the insight. Also, I have it setup in my dark basement, temp down there is usually around 64-68 degrees. Is that ok? Thanks again.

Based on the quantity of sediment, fermentation is complete and you can store anywhere in your home. Yes, even in your mother in law's suite. It is typical to get some "floaties" on top, they are not concerning. Just keep it dark, direct sunlight can "skunk" beer. Bottle in a week or two, no hurry. The beer will continue to clear over the next few days.

dark basement, temp down there is usually around 64-68 degrees
Yeast will generate some additional heat. I've measured this in the past for my small (1 gal-ish) batches - the internal fermentation temperature would be 1 - 3F higher than room temperature.

You should be OK with this batch.

I'll suggest that you look into getting fermentation temperature into the mid-60s (rather than upper 60s). If you have a spare beverage cooler that holds your one gallon carboy, put the carboy in the cooler, add 64F water, then maintain that water temperature by checking it once in the morning and once in the afternoon. After 3-4 days (when the yeast is finished), the water temperature won't change.

looks good! When you pull it out into a secondary container you'll leave most of the junk behind. Let it sit for 20 mins in the new container before bottling (I assume) to let it drop out more. If you bottle condition, a few weeks in the bottle should clear it up.

I've brewed a couple from Brooklyn Brew Shop. Followed their directions to a T and they all came out right. I've learned more since I started brewing still buy their grain but use a different method than their instructions call for.

Thanks for the info. I want to try some different stuff in the future, once I have a better understanding of the process.

That stuff on the bottom is referred to as trub i belive. It's just your solids such as the hops. And fine bits from the grains and pectin and other stuff. It's just settling out of the liquid. like how sand and silt settle out of dirty water. (All brews will do this wine beer mead just beer is the thickest) The stuff up top is basically the same just stuck to the glass from the aggressive fermentation that likely took place in the first four days. And pushed all that junk up to the top.

Back