First time brewing, may have messed up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quint

Reaction score
Hello, new here

Well i have started my first batch of mead. So far everything seems to be going all right with it.

But after more reading i think i have made an error. I used distilled water, and now am worried that it's going to come out wrong or just taste bad.

Should i be worried about this? or just throw is out and try to start over.

I certainly wouldn't throw it out, I know a lot of people here use distilled or RO water with beer on the assumptions that the grain will add in any required salts etc. I don't know about honey. Did you use any nutrients? Energiser salts?

I would post your recipe first. I would have throught that if honey etc isn't enough to make the water safe to drink all you would need to do to fix it is add back in some minerals...

sorry should have posted that first heh

i used 15lbs. wildflower honey
4 gallons distilled water
2 tsp. yeast nutrient
2 10g. tubes of dry 71b wine yeast

My hydrometer read 1.106-1.108 right before i sealed it all up.
The honey was from a local beekeeper i know.
and the yeast and yeast nutrient was off of http://www.thebeveragepeople.com/index.html

This recipe was from "The compleat mead maker"

Thats allot of yeast mate!

yet, All i can say is, you won't have a issue because of the water!

Just use tap water in future and save a buck!

Thanks for the input guys
Wicked happy i don't have to throw it out.
It's worth knowing that you should never throw a batch out until it's definitely passed saving......

There's a lot that can be done to save a batch, unless it's been completely contaminated i.e. bacterial infection etc.

Even if it comes out Ok, but isn't quite as you expect, it can be used for topping up etc.....

Back