First time brewing a Porter. Need help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunal Vanjare

Reaction score
Hello guys, I am brewing a Porter (1 Gallon) tonight for the first time. All my previous brewing experiences (4 in total) have been Pale Ales or IPAs. So I guess I could do with some pointers. The recipe is such :-
BIAB
Pale 2-row : 980grams
Caramel 60 : 90grams
Chocolate : 60grams
Roasted Barley : 60grams
Flaked Oats : 30grams

Hops include Cascade & Centennial (target - 36 IBU).
Pre-Boil Gravity : 1.054, Original Gravity : 1.072, Final Gravity : 1.018

The recipe calls for 3.2Ltrs of Strike water & 3.49Litrs of Sparge water. Is this correct? Using the Brewfather app for the first time! Had been using the Brewers Friend tool which does not work anymore and I preferred Brewfather over Beersmith.

My sparging method has been to lift the bag, squeeze it (not too hard to release tannins), and then let it rest on top of a strainer while I add hot water to make up the pre-boil volume. Or is there a better way to sparge with BIAB?

Also, I will be using RO water with salt additions as per EZ-Water. As per the app, I need to add 1gms each of Gypsum, CaCl2 & Baking Soda for a pH of 5.35. Do all of these go into the Strike Water? Or do I divide them proportionally between Strike & Sparge water?

I am sorry if these are too many questions. Help will be appeciated :)

Last edited:
What tool is not working on Brewer's Friend? Are you talking about the Mash Calculator? I just checked it, and it seems to be working fine for me.
I meant I was using their old Beta Software for windows which was working fine but suddenly stopped working last month.

Oh, OK. Check out the website. It's really a good setup.
I tried. For the same recipe, Brewers Friend shows 2.83gallons of Strike Water, that's about 10.7 Litres! Why is there such a big difference?

I have adjusted equipment profiles just now on the website. Still there is that difference. Not sure why.

Hmm, I suspect it's something to do with your equipment profile, but if Grainfather works for you, go with it.

Sorry to hijack your thread!
That's fine :)

I've figured the difference is down to the Boil-Off Rate which is calculated as 1.5Gal/hour by Brewers Friend. That translates to near 5.7 Litre/hour. I have a 10 Litre Kettle with a 9 Inch diameter. I never get that high a boil-off rate!

So I guess I'll stick with Brewfather's specs and hope (and pray) for the best.

Also, when should I add the salts? In the strike water? Or during mashing?

I add all my salts to the mash. It's easier than figuring out a ratio between mash and sparge. I do add any required acid to both, but Brewer's Friend does that calculation for me.

Back