First time brewer questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so a friend of mine just started brewing a few weeks ago and when he brought he first batch over for me to try I new I had found a new hobby. I recently got my starter kit with all the tools and studied videos and read the book included in the kit. I followed the directions only to have a few minor problems. Cooling the wort without the wort cooler being the first. I gave it an ice bath for a while but it took about 30 mins. I'm hoping no bacteria growth formed in that time. I pitched my yeast early at about 80* F I knew it was bad but I was impatient. I tested for an OG level. So the next morning I realize both of my mistakes. After about 4 days there were no more bubbles. So I syphoned it into the clear carboy from the fermenting bucket in hope it might help in the process I also took a late OG reading which measured to 1.010. I let it sit over night and now I have bubbles again. Should I continue or is my batch ruined?

Sounds like you are fine. Based on what I have read, some yeast is totally ok at 80. I just bottled my first batch last wed, and it was finished in the primary by the 6th day (readings matched day 4 and 6).

The thirty minutes to cool should not be an issue with bacteria growth, while pitching at 80 is not ideal, you should still have beer, maybe even good beer. The 1.010 is pretty low for an OG. Unless you completely undershot your gravity when you were brewing, it probably fermented quite a bit to get there.

The beer is probably fine, so I would let it sit for another couple weeks and then take another gravity reading. Once your gravity is stable for a few days then fermentation is complete (not when the bubbles stop)

Here is a good thread by Revvy that talks about how resilient beer can be, so while it is good to shoot for sound method a lot of times our mistakes do not end up being crucial. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

Your all good, just remember 7 days primary ferm, 7 days secondary, 2 weeks bottle, or 14 days in primary if you don't want to do secondary.

As mentioned, Hydrometer reading are the only way to tell if fermentation has complete

"The 1.010 is pretty low for an OG. Unless you completely undershot your gravity when you were brewing, it probably fermented quite a bit to get there."

That gravity level was takin after day 5. So it had fermented a while. Like I said I had forgot to take an OG level. **rookie mistake**. But I put my batch in the secondary. I'm not supposed to add anything correct. I just syphoned into the carboy. And now I wait another week to bottle?

Well,judging from what you said,at day 5 it was at 1.010,so that's at or close to FG (Final Gravity). So I'd let it sit till it settles out clear or nearly so. Then bottle. The fact that it's bubbling again usually means it's off gassing dissolved co2 from the transfer. Next time,leave it in primary till you get down to a stable FG. You don't really need a secondary unless you're racking onto something.
But it's really a matter of personal preference to use a secondary or not. Not much to be gained unless you're racking onto fruit,oaking,& the like. Many of us even dry hop in primary. But only after FG is reached.

I'm not supposed to add anything correct. I just syphoned into the carboy. And now I wait another week to bottle?

Yeah, you don't have to add anything when you transfer to a secondary, the only thing left to add is your priming sugar when you bottle (if you are bottling). I would let it ferment for at least two weeks total before you bottle, as well as confirming that fermentation has finished.

And dont worry about forgetting to take the reading, the first kit I bought didnt even have a hydrometer and did not mention the importance of temperature control (which resulted in fermentation around 70-80 degrees) and I made a couple batches with it that came out decently before I realized it was important to have a hydrometer and regulate fermentation temperatures.

Or better yet, a month in primary, skip the secondary and go straight to bottle conditioning for 3 weeks! Bet your beer beats your friends beer hands down!

If i were you i would leave it in the secondary for at least 2 weeks. It will only get better in there.

If i'm not dry hopping i just leave it in primary for a month, really no need to secondary unless, as already mentioned, you are adding something. Congrats on your first brew!

It's easier to be patient if you brew a lot. I have three or four batches going at all times, each brewed a week or two apart. It's called a building a pipeline. How long do you think it will take you to drink a couple cases of beer? Mine sure doesn't last seven weeks.

Back