First time brewer, open to thoughts on adding nibs (current status with photo)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonlonmilklover

Reaction score
Hello, brewers!

I am in the process of brewing my first beer, a basic brown ale.

I boiled:
5 gallons water
7 pounds extract
2 ounces hops

I have 3 ounces cacao nibs, yet to be added. I am planning using the vodka-soaking method with them to extract the flavors, and then dump the soaked nibs into the fermenter toward the end of the primary fermentation.

My question is based on the following info:

-my look of my beer in the photo
-I'm using WLP002 yeast
-been fermenting since 11/23 at 5pm at 67F

Is it a decent plan to add the cacao nibs on 12/4 (11 days in) and then bottle after the 14th day of fermenting? Or is it perhaps wiser if in doubt, to wait a full 14 days before adding the nibs, then bottle a few days later?

The only rookie question I truly have regarding the status of the beer per my photo, is that I was told I should have zero Kräusen at the top of the fermenter before bottling, as an indication of the yeast having been in "cleanup" mode for a healthy time before bottling, also being advantageous to a clearer beer. I've read that I can safely go as far as to wait up to 3 weeks and then add cacao nibs for a few days, so I've read several takes already in how-to's, causing me to wonder if they are possibly contradicting, or just simply different options to take based on type / preference / style of beer. I chose a brown instead of a lager for my first beer so I wouldn't be on pins and needles for months to try my first project, lol...

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, I thank you much for your time :)

brownale.jpg

I think your plan on when to add the nibbs sounds good. I would leave them for 5 to 7 days. taking a gravity readings is the only way to know for sure if the beer is ready to be bottled.

Back