First time bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yay, bottling day! Went pretty well, but I have a couple of question.

1) My FG was ~1.015. This was my first brew, so I went with a "True Brew" Pilsener kit. Instructions say my FG should have been 1.010 - 1.012. I followed the kit instructions and left it in the FV for three weeks at a fairly constant 65 deg. I'm not obsessing, but just wondering what I might have done to throw it off. Unfortunately, I didn't do a OG reading, so it may have been off the whole way.

2) While bottling, one of my bottles broke while I was putting the cap on. The top snapped off just below the cap as I was trying to get the capper off. Is this common? The bottles were from a case of Anchor Steam and seemed fine, although I did have to wrestle with the capper a couple of times (it didn't want to release). I also used a few 22oz bottles I bought new, and they seemed much easier to cap. My "used" bottles are more of a tapered neck than a long neck, could that be it?

Regardless, the beer smelled great! It's going to be a tough two weeks to wait to taste the first one. My 9yo daughter had a blast helping by filling the bottles, and she's already planning our next brewing day!

I have found that my capper won't work on Anchor steam bottles, or if I do get the cap on those bottles are flat while others of the same batch are fine.

gotta love bottling day! i just bottled some of my IPA this afternoon.
about your broken bottle, i use Anchor bottles a lot, i like the shape, gives a nice, smooth pour. i also love Anchor Steam Beer, so i can save up the bottles pretty easily. i've also noticed that they're thinner than many other bottles. and i've never completely broken one off, i have had one crack the same way you did. the lip of the bottle where the crown crimps around chipped off and the neck cracked a bit. that's the only time it's happened and i've continued to use Anchor bottles a lot.

edit: that's weird, Chicky. what kinda capper do you use? i use one of those bat-wing type guys and never have issues getting the caps on Anchor bottles.

Mine is also an old red bat-wing thing, had it for about 8 years. That's the only type of bottle I've ever had problems with. It got stuck on when trying to cap those - meaning it wouldn't let go. And then you know that ring that you see after capping, so you know it's on well? I couldn't get that ring on the Anchor bottles. Haven't tried using those again since that one time.

Mine is also an old red bat-wing thing, had it for about 8 years. That's the only type of bottle I've ever had problems with. It got stuck on when trying to cap those - meaning it wouldn't let go. And then you know that ring that you see after capping, so you know it's on well? I couldn't get that ring on the Anchor bottles. Haven't tried using those again since that one time.

that's really weird. the bottles i can't get to cap right, and have even broken trying to get capped, is Wychwood bottles. and i've been told that other's can cap them with a bat wing. must be a weird brand difference, or something.

Huh, that is weird. The Doc and I must have the same capper.

By the way, congrats on your first brew OP. That's great you have a bottler's helper. My dog always wants to help, but I have to put her outside so as to avoid the pitbull-in-a-china-shop effect. ;)

As far as your FG, was it an extract brew? They often finish a little high.

Huh, that is weird. The Doc and I must have the same capper.
Sounds iike it, it's a red bat-wing deal, little magnet in the "bell" to hold the cap. I also noticed that a lot of the caps wound up with a round dent in the top. I'm not worried about the seal, but it does look...unattractive.
As far as your FG, was it an extract brew? They often finish a little high.
Yeah, a can of unhopped extract and two bags of DME, plus some hop pellets and an ounce of leaf hops I added during the last minute of the boil (per the directions). Thanks, that's good to know. Like I said, I'm not worried about it, but since it's my first brew I'm trying to keep my eyes open so I can identify any screw-ups I make.

I'd be interested to see if those ones carb up for you. The ones I did manage to cap I turned upside down and shook a little. I thought they would be okay only to find them flat later. At least if there's a problem you'll know it wasn't your process.

chickypad said:
I'd be interested to see if those ones carb up for you. The ones I did manage to cap I turned upside down and shook a little. I thought they would be okay only to find them flat later. At least if there's a problem you'll know it wasn't your process.

Well, after drinking a half dozen or so, I can report that the Anchor Steam bottles carbed up like a champ. Haven't tried any of my 22oz bottles yet, but I'm pretty confident they'll be OK too. To be safe, though, I bought a case of standard longnecks to supplement my recycled short-necks.

My wing capper would hang up like that on Smithwick's & Sapporo bottles. I broke a Sierra Nevada stubby once the same way you did. I just didn't seat the little curved clamps on the neck first. The 2 bottle types I mentioned 1st work better with a bench capper. I gave them & some regular caps away that I don't use anymore to a member in need. The shorter bottles won't fit in the longneck bottle boxes like the long necks do anyway. Now I just use all different styles of long necks,& they work great with the wing capper. Esspecially the German Paulaner bottles.
They look cool with the embossed bearded monks around the shoulder too.

Back