first time bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big supper

Reaction score
I am going to be bottle soon. A couple questions:

1. I will be mixing 8oz of dextrose with 3/4 cup of hot water. Is that the right amount of sugar?(it is what the store recomended)

2. they recommended transfering to priming bucket. I am impatient and already have my next batch going. Can I add the solution to my secondary carboy and gently mix in the solution and bottle from there?

I would appreciate any feedback! thanks

big supper said:
1. I will be mixing 8oz of dextrose with 3/4 cup of hot water. Is that the right amount of sugar?(it is what the store recomended)

2. they recommended transfering to priming bucket. I am impatient and already have my next batch going. Can I add the solution to my secondary carboy and gently mix in the solution and bottle from there?
8oz seems excessive, I use 4-5oz of dextrose. (Assuming a 5 gallon batch.)

You're better off using the bottling bucket. That way you can be sure that your priming sugar is evenly distributed throughout your beer. Mixing it into the carboy thoroughly will be difficult without stirring up sediment.

You'll soon find that the words "impatience" and "homebrewing" do not belong together! :D

thanks guys.

so it looks like i should use about 5 oz. dextrose(cane sugar?) Anyone know what this would be in cups or millilitres?

Back