first time blow out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shayner

Reaction score
for the first time, my brew blew out the air lock. I guess it did this some time last night.

It does not look like it it going to get any worse. What should i do? Clean and sanitize the air lock?

obviously, i'll be gettting a blow off tube and cap now.

yep, cleaning it up is pretty much all you can do. i'm presuming your using the 1 piece bubble style airlock? i switched to the 3 piece style airlock pretty quick when i started brewing. what i've done for a blow off tube is use the main piece of the 3 piece airlock and slip a length of 1/2" ID hose over the center tube of the airlock. cut the hose long enough to run into a mason jar 1/4 to 1/3 full with sanitizer and use a clamp to keep the hose in the jar. use a liberal amount of keg lube when you attach the hose if you don't want it permanently attached to the airlock.

yep, cleaning it up is pretty much all you can do. i'm presuming your using the 1 piece bubble style airlock? i switched to the 3 piece style airlock pretty quick when i started brewing. what i've done for a blow off tube is use the main piece of the 3 piece airlock and slip a length of 1/2" ID hose over the center tube of the airlock. cut the hose long enough to run into a mason jar 1/4 to 1/3 full with sanitizer and use a clamp to keep the hose in the jar. use a liberal amount of keg lube when you attach the hose if you don't want it permanently attached to the airlock.

going to get teh blowoff tube today. I doubt it gets back up but still. I'll be ready for next time

Back