First time BIAB, SMASH - Check my recipe before I give it a shot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolhand78

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm finally getting around to trying my first BIAB, and formulating a recipe (read: not brewing an extract kit).

I've been struggling to figure out grist ratios, IBUs, and what software to use, but I think I might finally have a handle on it.

To keep things simple, I want to do a SMASH recipe. Not sure how much I'll like it, but I don't really have picky tastes, and I want to learn ingredient profiles. I just want something that is drinkable. Other than that, I favor beer with higher ABV. But, I'm willing to compromise with my first time BIAB.

I put this together using Brewers Friend. I picked MO because I read it's a good base malt with a better flavor profile than 2-row. Not sure why I picked Citra other than it sounds good. Not real sure on the timing and amounts of my hop additions. Also, not real sure on my choice of yeast. I'd like something basic (not too expensive) to get the job done. I'm also unsure on my water amounts/ratios, but I used http://biabcalculator.com.

Edit: Please see the link to see the recipe.

And by now I'm sure I sound like a complete idiot, but I welcome any advice and input. Thanks!!!

Screen Shot 2014-11-19 at 12.07.12 AM.png

I'd personally make it a little smaller for a SMaSH (maybe 6lb mo), but I can't really say it would make any difference. I've done this a few times to get a feel for the hops so, alc. content didn't make a difference to me. I think MO is the best base to use, Us-05 works great for almost everything as far as yeast. You won't be blown away but it should taste just fine

10 lbs will put you in the perfect range for a nice pale ale. Assuming that's what you're going for, I'd do something like .5oz Citra at 60, .75oz at 15, and then maybe 1.5oz at flameout or as a hop steep. You could dry hop with another 1-2oz after fermentation subsides if you like.

I'd mash somewhere around 152 or even 154 to get some of the malty sweetness from the MO.

10 lbs will put you in the perfect range for a nice pale ale. Assuming that's what you're going for, I'd do something like .5oz Citra at 60, .75oz at 15, and then maybe 1.5oz at flameout or as a hop steep. You could dry hop with another 1-2oz after fermentation subsides if you like.

I'd mash somewhere around 152 or even 154 to get some of the malty sweetness from the MO.

Did you notice that the batch size was 3 gallons instead of 5. If the OP gets the kind of brewhouse efficiency as I do, your 10 pounds would put the OG into the barleywine range.

If you get your grains milled fine (double crush if you don't have your own mill) I think you will have a higher efficiency than the 70% that the recipe is built around. My first BIAB batch was a no sparge and I got 80% with that.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, due to my kettle size I'm only trying for a three gallon batch. I wasn't really sure on my water to grain ratio. If I have the assumption that I can boil 5 gallons, how much grain can and should I use?

I assumed I'd get a lower efficiency on my first try, but I did plan on double crushing the grain.

I brewed a pale ale with 4 pounds pale malt, 1 pound of Caramel 20 and 1/4 pound of aromatic to make a 2 1/2 gallon batch. With my fine grind of the grains that got me a 1.060 OG at 80% eficiency. Your efficiency may be lower but not enough lower to need 8 pounds of Maris Otter. 5 or 6 should be plenty.

Back