First time Better Bottle user

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleTwanger

Reaction score
It's official: i'm converted. No more 6.5G carboys for me, Better Bottles are simply better. I always preferred glass but after finding a small yet potentially disaster causing crack on the bottom of my glass primary I went ahead and got a BB. These things rock! For one they are light as crap, even filled to the top. Another thing is the mouth is big enough that I can fill the BB with Star-san and put in my auto-siphon, racking cane, and tube; something I had to use a bucket for before. Finally they are small enough for me to put 2 in my swamp cooler/bath tub. I have a 5g glass secondary in there now and the BB fits as well.

The only question I have is where is the 5 gallon mark about? Right now mines filled to about halfway up the last gripped part (whatever that's called)Also, should I expect to use a blow-off? I've got one ready to go, this one:
Product Listing -
But now I just have an airlock on it.
The beer that's in it is a 1.070 IPA with Ringwood ale yeast.

I can't help you with the five gallon mark at the moment (I'm working), but can offer this advice: When you empty it next time fill it up in gallon increments and mark them off with a permanent marker.

I do love the BB and would get a second if I ever start brewing heavily again.

It it my understanding the the point where the bottle stops going up and starts at an angle toward the neck is the 5 gallon point.

Just ordered my first better bottle this weekend for a primary. I've like how glass has been working for me and have been weary of going to plastic. I don't like the weight or danger of working with giant glass carboys though.

The only drawback I've found is that if you have it quite full, you have to be very careful not to squeeze them when picking them up or carrying them - if you do, beer will squirt out the top!

The only drawback I've found is that if you have it quite full, you have to be very careful not to squeeze them when picking them up or carrying them - if you do, beer will squirt out the top!

Yeah I noticed that too.

From the BB website:

Picture1.jpg

Not only that, but by just picking them up, the weight of the wort causes the bottom of the Better Bottle to flex outward (down) enough to create negative pressure; if you're using an "S" shape airlock, it will draw in outside air. Not as much of an issue if you've got a 3-piece airlock on there.

IMHO, still beats the hey out of the weight, PITA-ness and potential danger of glass.

From the BB website:

That's awesome, I'm exactly at the 5g mark. Of course I'll lose some to trub but meh, close enough.

So far I don't need the blowoff. I've got a 1.070 ale with Ringwood yeast fermenting pretty hard and I've got plenty of headspace left.

Do you guys take the BB sticker off? I want to but it's on there pretty good.

Do you guys take the BB sticker off? I want to but it's on there pretty good.

I have 3 BB's and have just left them on there. And I still use a milk crate to carry them around simply due to the flex issue with the plastic. Your going to love the thing.

Back