First time attempting to make some sort of cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrall

Reaction score
Well I have been reading lately about home made cider using Apple Juice.

I have ordered a 5 litre demijohn, Cider yeast, Cleaning tablets and an air lock.

My plan is to create 4.5 litres of cider, If anyone has any step by step instructions they have used or created it would be great.

My plan so far ( I don't expect this to be perfect & hope for some advice from more experienced people )

1) 3 Litres of apple juice into demijohn and add 1 teaspoon of yeast + shake

2) After a few days once the fermentation has calmed down add the rest of the juice

3) Leave until fermentation has completed.

Now this seems fine when reading on-line instructions but I'm not really sure on a few things.

How do I sterilise my equipment, i have ordered some sterilising powder but not got a clue how to use it and also how do I know when fermentation has finished?

Well, I'm fairly new to this whole Cider buisness, but I do know a little about when you know how the fermentation is done. This step of the process really depends on what kind of cider you want.

Apple Beer 3-5% ABV takes about 4 or 5 days, maybe a week or so depending on temperature, and how active the yeast is.

Sweet Hard Cider 6-9% ABV can take a little over a week. (1 bubble every minute or so from the airlock I heard someone mention)

Dry Cider 9%+ ABV (Very little or no suger very high ABV) You ferment it until the bubbles stop completely. Can take 2 weeks or more.

Also, about adding some of the juice later, I can see how that would make sense, giving the yeast a head start, however this would just delay the fermentation process. One thing that would help speed up the process, is having a starter, is by doing just the opposite. Start some of the yeast in a small bottle with some apple juice, and maybe some sugar. Wait awhile, and then start the whole process by adding the starter to the rest of the juice, attaching the airlock and let the magic begin. This just helps hydrate the yeast. Should start bubbling by the next day sometime. Then a layer of Krausen will form on top(These brownish bubbles that solidify on top), this will fall back into the cider after awhile.

I made an apple beer, and a sweet cider about a month ago, and I far prefer the sweet cider. Reminds me of muddy wine. The longer it sits, the better it tastes(in the bottle/fridge). I also have a dry cider bubbling away.

Hope I can be some help, also anyone else please feel free to correct me on anything. Like I said, I made my first batch about a month ago. I'm just eager to help people out.

One of the most important tools you'll need is a hydrometer & test jar, that's what you use to determine (with certainty) if fermentation is complete. It's easy to use & low cost. Here's a link that will show you how to use it: http://www.grapestompers.com/articles/hydrometer_use.htm As for you sterilizer, just follow the directions on the pkg. I use a little dish soap & then after several very thorough rinsings, I sanitize with starsan; it's a no rinse sanitizer & works well for me, not sure if it's available in UK/Scotland, but really, any sanitizer designed to be used by home brewers/winemakers should work just fine. Regards, GF.

Dont just add yeast and shake. Sprinkle it on the top so that it spreads out and rehydrates evenly. I usually pitch a third of the packet at a time. Wait for it to rehydrate and sink (usually takes about 2 min) then add some more. When all the yeast has sunk then give it a shake. I dont see any advantage to adding the juice in 2 steps. Generally the fewer steps the better.

As you are in the UK, I'd recommend using Brupack Ale yeast. Youngs cider yeast is good if you like it really dry, like a white wine. The Brupack will give you more of a pub style cider.

Good luck on your first try! All I can say is definitely get yourself a hydrometer. For a while I was winging it and calculating sugar weight from store bought juice and adding more sugar to come to an approximate PA, but I soon learned that many other factors come into play (methods of pitching yeast, nutrient, room temp, etc.). It all came into better focus when I got that handy little tool. It was like turning on a flashlight in a dark room! Without it, you're flying by the seat of your pants.
This is actually my first post but I have lurked these forums for months and have learned volumes! These people are pretty cool cats and they seem very nice and certainly helpful. Good luck and please read read read because I have avoided hours and wasted gallons by taking their sage advice!

Thanks for all the replies.

I will purchase a hydrometer and read up on how to use that.

One thing that I'm still a little confused about is the quantity of yeast I should use. I have read that people use 1 tea spoons worth, if that's correct is it a level tea spoon and also does it really matter how exact the measurement is.

When it comes to bottling the cider do I just syphon it using some pipe and make sure I don't get any of the sediment when doing this?

One thing that I'm still a little confused about is the quantity of yeast I should use. I have read that people use 1 tea spoons worth, if that's correct is it a level tea spoon and also does it really matter how exact the measurement is.

I don't know what kind of yeast or the amount that it's packaged in. The yeast I use mostly Lalvin EC-1118 (total beast yeast but will ferment and dry it out fast) comes packaged in 5 gram packets. One packet is good for about 5 U.S. gallons. I make batches usually 1-2 gal. at a time and just use the whole thing for each batch. You can't have too much yeast. It won't exponentially speed up the fermentation, but will get it started faster. Plus, it's only less than a dollar a pack.

Latest posts

Back