First Stuck Fermentation - Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermute2

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout (with some small modifications) on 11/30. Last night I racked it to secondary over a vanilla bean (I had added 4 oz. cocoa powder to the boil and wanted to add a vanilla bean to help smooth out the bitterness).

Everything looked right - nice dense yeast cake on the bottom of the primary, a ring around the inside of the primary indicative of krausen, tasted decent etc. Stupid me, I didn't check SG until most of the wort was in the secondary. My OG was 1.054, and the current SG last night was 1.026. I made sure to suck up a little bit of the yeast cake (Safeale S-04) into secondary. The fermenter has been in a room with a constant temperature around 65 deg. F.

I dumped a sachet of S-04 into the secondary for good measure. There was a little bit of indication of renewed fermentation a couple hours later (a couple of bubbles on the surface of the wort, some very slow airlock activity), but now (24 hours later) there's nothing, and no evidence of yeast blooms.

What should I do?

Pitch a oak of Wyeast 1099?

Stir/aerate? I'm afraid to do this so far into the fermentation.

I brewed up a batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout (with some small modifications) on 11/30. Last night I racked it to secondary over a vanilla bean (I had added 4 oz. cocoa powder to the boil and wanted to add a vanilla bean to help smooth out the bitterness).

Everything looked right - nice dense yeast cake on the bottom of the primary, a ring around the inside of the primary indicative of krausen, tasted decent etc. Stupid me, I didn't check SG until most of the wort was in the secondary. My OG was 1.054, and the current SG last night was 1.026. I made sure to suck up a little bit of the yeast cake (Safeale S-04) into secondary. The fermenter has been in a room with a constant temperature around 65 deg. F.

I dumped a sachet of S-04 into the secondary for good measure. There was a little bit of indication of renewed fermentation a couple hours later (a couple of bubbles on the surface of the wort, some very slow airlock activity), but now (24 hours later) there's nothing, and no evidence of yeast blooms.

What should I do?

Pitch a oak of Wyeast 1099?

Stir/aerate? I'm afraid to do this so far into the fermentation.

Nope, not Yooper's Oatmeal Stout since you modified the recipe. Now it's your oatmeal stout. :D

When you start the ferment you need to keep the beer cool so the yeast don't go crazy and make a lot of off flavors but at this time all that is in the past and you can warm the beer up to encourage the yeast. I'd try to get your secondary into the low 70's for the next week or more.

Back