First stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Wyatt

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a stout tell me what you think...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210203-140510_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20210203-140510_Brewfather.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 98
Sorry, black malt, not roasted barley. I can read, promise.
Because it was a higher ibu I figured this was even put some of the bitterness but by all means I will take any suggestions

I meant this will even out. I can type, I promise lol

Too much black & brown malt, and no roasted barley.
fwiw, this is my chocolate imperial stout cut down to a 5 gallon recipe as a reference wrt those dark grain additions.

OG 1.107 on my 3v2p system
72 IBUs, 55 SRM, est ABV 10%

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

1 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
1 oz Chinook pellets, 45 minutes
1 oz Cascade pellets, 20 minutes
1 oz Cascade pellets, 15 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil

Fermentis S04, 2 packs, hydrated

1/2 lb cacao nibs and a couple of scraped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible!

Cheers!

I'm checking my last imperial stout recipe, and I had 57% base (Maris Otter), 14% Victory, 16% roasted malts (roasted barley, chocolate, carafa 3), and 13% crystal (golden oats, 120 L).

Magnum for bittering @ 60. I then tried something a little strange and used Calypso at 20 and 0.

Too much black & brown malt, and no roasted barley.
fwiw, this is my chocolate imperial stout cut down to a 5 gallon recipe as a reference wrt those dark grain additions.

OG 1.107 on my 3v2p system
72 IBUs, 55 SRM, est ABV 10%

16 lb 2 row pale malt
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black barley malt
1/4 lb black patent malt (could combine both black malts into either one really)
1/4 lb roasted barley
1/2 lb crystal/caramel malt 40-60L
1/2 lb caramalt
1/4 lb Gambrinus Honey Malt

1 oz Chinook pellets, 60 minutes
1 oz Chinook pellets, 45 minutes
1 oz Cascade pellets, 20 minutes
1 oz Cascade pellets, 15 minutes
2 lb honey, end of boil (TURN OFF THE BURNER BEFORE STIRRING IN!)
1/2 lb low fat cocoa powder, end of boil

Fermentis S04, 2 packs, hydrated

1/2 lb cacao nibs and a couple of scraped and smushed vanilla beans, soaked in dark rum for a week, then add the whole thing at secondary
1 oz pure chocolate extract, add at kegging

I have been mashing this at 148°F to get the FG down in the upper 20s.
Serve on nitro if possible!

Cheers!
that sounds damn good!

It is :) I've kept it on tap continuously for many years.

One could play around with some of the specialty grain amounts to taste (eg: double the roast) but as written this big beer actually needs no cellar time to be ready to go...

Cheers!

As soon as I saw 100SRM, I assumed too much dark roasted grain. If it were me, I’d cut it back considerably and replace with more base malt.

I'd reduce your roasted malt, C120, and get rid of the carafoam as you have plenty of foam-creating ingredients already. I'd go 6 to 7% each black patent and chocolate malt (12 to 14% combined). I do like this combo better than roasted barley. I'd go no more than 5% C120, and use a lighter lovibond crystal for the remainder... C40/60/80.

First stout,I would go with ten percent either roasted barley or chocolate malt or black malt and the rest pale malt.

From there I would start trying to add things or to change things, for example brew it again, but next time replace 8% of the base malt with medium crystal.

Otherwise you will never get to know your ingredients as you will never know which part of the grist contributed which flavour.

My favourite stout is 10% roasted barley and rest pale, fermented with s04 in the upper temperature range, bittering hops only. It does not need to be complicated. What I have learned over all my brews, almost always true is, the simpler, the better.

Definitely too much black patent. That grain is supposed to be used very sparingly. I like super smooth Stouts so to get them super black I use either midnight wheat or Cara 3 at less than 5%

i reworked my recipe what do you guys think now?

Attachments

• stout grain build.PNG
    stout grain build.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 20
Time.

I just tonight had a bottle of stout from a batch I made in November. I've been going through these slowly but they've recently turned a corner. Like most stouts I've made, the longer it sits the better it gets.

i reworked my recipe what do you guys think now?
Looks good to me. You could dial back the black patent and the chocolate by 1% each, as the actual weight is already quite high with a high og beer like this.

This beer will need at least half a year in the bottle, so be prepared to wait.

My guess is, it will even continue getting better after six months.

With that much ibu and roasted malt, that beer will come off astringent. For your first stout I would do something along this line;

Grain Bill
-Base Malt (75% target):
-Roasted Grains (10-12% target):
-Mid-dark crystal / specialty malts (5-7% target):
-Body Building (6-8%)

With that much ibu and roasted malt, that beer will come off astringent. For your first stout I would do something along this line;

Grain Bill
-Base Malt (75% target):
-Roasted Grains (10-12% target):
-Mid-dark crystal / specialty malts (5-7% target):
-Body Building (6-8%)
?

It's all within that range!

Chocolate malt is 400+
black malt is 525+
Both are at 9.7% so that 19.4% dark roasted grains

**edit**
this was based off his original. I now see he updated it
I revised it last night. I did some more research and scaled back alot. Im thinking of using Chinook and cascade hops. Are those good hops for this style?

I revised it last night. I did some more research and scaled back alot. Im thinking of using Chinook and cascade hops. Are those good hops for this style?
I personally wouldn’t use chinook in a stout. the bitterness is kinda rough and even when used early in boil it’s flavor always carries through. Don’t get me wrong, I love it in an ipa.

Cascade is fine. I personally like magnum for bittering and Fuggles late in my stouts.

Back