First Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDJ1311

Reaction score
Ok, first I am not sure which forum this is appropriate for, so I am starting here.

I want to brew my first extract Saison (steep specialty), I am a big fan of Tired Hands Saison hands. I have found some recipes that I plan on using to convert to extract in beer smith.

With that said, I am unsure on 2 things.

1) Yeast
2) Fermenting temperature

Yeast
I don't like overly clove-ey (I made that word up) Saison's and prefer a dry/citrusy flavor/finish. I haven't even broached the subject of yeast harvesting so I need to buy commercial yeast. Danstar Belle Saison yeast seems to be a good option. Anyone who has used it, would you describe it that way? Other recommendations? I have no issue doing a starter but the liquid yeast descriptions seem to all say Spicy, fruity, and clove.

Temp
I use an interior closet for my Pales/IPA that holds at 67-68 pretty regularly. With that said, I see a lot about "free rise" and 80 degree ferments in the forums/articles that i have found. Could I plausibly stick it in my garage (I live in NJ) and just let it go? How long should I expect to ferment for, etc.

Thanks for any advise direction!

Belle saison dry is very easy to use. I would use your usual closet and not try to control the temp - just let it go. It'll probably finish within a week. I've done several beers with belle and it will end up pretty dry.

Back