First saison has off flavours?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys.....I just poured my first pint of a Belgian saison that used wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison and I find it has a very musty earthy kinda smell. The recipes used a lot of Pilsner malt as well so could this be DMS or just the way the Belgian saison yeast is supposed to be? I did a 60 min boil. Any experiences with this yeast? The beer is about 6 weeks old.

Jamie.

Hey Guys.....I just poured my first pint of a Belgian saison that used wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison and I find it has a very musty earthy kinda smell. The recipes used a lot of Pilsner malt as well so could this be DMS or just the way the Belgian saison yeast is supposed to be? I did a 60 min boil. Any experiences with this yeast? The beer is about 6 weeks old.

Jamie.
I've never used that strain, but "musty earthy" is sort of something I expect in a fresh Saison... hmm.

+1 to what Brulospher said, it's kinda what you want in a Saison. Also in the future it's probably a good idea to do a 90 minute boil when using Pilsner malt to drive of any DMS, although maybe Brulospher can shed some light as to if that is true or not

+1 to what Brulospher said, it's kinda what you want in a Saison. Also in the future it's probably a good idea to do a 90 minute boil when using Pilsner malt to drive of any DMS, although maybe Brulospher can shed some light as to if that is true or not

Letting you in on a little secret:

I was hoping to shed more light on this in about 2 weeks, but something went awry and I won't be able to. Stay tuned to the site for the whole story... the sad, sad story :(

Until then, I never boil for 90 minutes these days. That's just me.

I have to agree. That musty/earthy smell is the " barnyard" aroma/flavor saisons ( farmhouse ales) are known for. I still got a little of that on the back using WY3711 French saison yeast.

I was kinda thinking it was the norm for a saison but wasnt sure seeing dms can have a corn like taste. The musty notes have gone down considerably after a few pours.I guess I was getting extra settled yeast in the beginning.

Tasting pretty great right now:)

I was kinda thinking it was the norm for a saison but wasn't sure seeing dms can have a corn like taste. The musty notes have gone down considerably after a few pours.I guess I was getting extra settled yeast in the beginning.

Tasting pretty great right now:)

Back