First run in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGerard

Reaction score
Well, I got the first boil done and it's in the fermenter. It is a completely random mixture of light extract (both DME and LME), dry ale yeast, and Glacier and Galena hops. Oh, and a combined pound of cara-pils and 40L crystal were steeped in as well. Hops were ordered prior to really doing research so that may not work out, but they seemed ok smelling, so we shall see. Everything went smoothly (I was using the propane burner outside, beat a rainstorm by about 1/2 hour), except that I should have grabbed a bag of ice from 7-11. I boiled down 4 gallons to 3, and then topped to 5 in the fermenter with cold water, but it didn't bring the temp down enough, and since I started brewing at 10pm, after the baby fell asleep, by the time I realized my oversight it was too late to do anything about it. At about 3am it was at 85-90 so I said screw it and pitched the yeast, shook it up, and it is now sitting in the slop sink. I didn't see any action when I got up for work 3 hours later, but I know that is to be expected.

Questions, how much does the smell of the beer (prior to yeast pitching) determine the tast of the beer, or not at all? This smelled pretty good, but not really that beery, although I suppose that comes after fermentation. Also, SG was 1.045, does that say anything about this beer?

Sounds good. I have made a few beers that way. Had some extra grain laying around, some extra hops and a dry yeast packet. Everytime it has turned out good. Doesnt fit any kind of style, but still good.

You will be fine pitching 85-90. I have gotten impatient and done that a number of times, you will be fine. I think the threshold is over 100 to kill yeast. You may shock them and your lag time may be a little while, but I dont think you have to worry about it.

I dont think there is any way for me to describe the relationship of smell to taste. Your beer is going to go through a number of changes. Personally, I think it is a good idea, particularly for new brewers, to smell and taste samples of their beer as the days and weeks pass so that they can get a feel for what young fermenting beer is like and how it turns into beer. I would imagine though, if it smells good, it will probably be good.

1.045 is a good, average SG. You will probably end up in the 4% alcohol range with a good beer flavor but still nice and drinkable.

Cool, thanks. I tried smelling the 2 different sets of hops, but I don't have a sensitive nose, they both smelled about the same to me. Extended lag time would actually be a good thing, because I'm heading out of town for the weekend and can't monitor if the krausen pops thru the airlock or anything. Waiting is going to be tough, but if the beer turns out like your prediction, it will be worth it.

it will be interesting to see how it tastes, since you just sorta tossed things into a pot.

next time, give the pot a water/ice water bath, and change the water every few minutes, and gently stir the hot wort. You can cool it to 80F in about 40 minutes. then put it in the fermenter, top off, shake the hell out of it, and when its pitching temp, do it.

expect some lag on this one, but it should be fine. the smell now and later will change a bit as the sweetness decreases.

Ice would definitely have changed the program. I didn't stop off at 7-11 to pick any up, that was a huge blunder. At 2 in the morning I just wasn't gonna run out, would have woken the dogs, then the wife and baby when I got back. Definitely gonna have plenty of ice on hand for the next time. I think that this should have the makings of a very middle of the road beer, since I used pretty light ingredients for everything. The only thing that I would have done differently is gone with more traditional hops, and ones that were proven mellow. The Glacier were ok at like 4 AAU, but the Galena were 13.1 or something which made me a little nervous about over bittering. I used the Glacier for the full boil, and put a mix of Glacier and Galena in at 30 mins and again at 2 mins, so hopefully that shouldn't overpower everything with hops.

Well, got back from a weekend away and the airlock is bubbling nicely, and smells like apple cider. Seems like all is well.

Back