First Recipe! Might call it "Clueless Brown"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RallyintheValley

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at my own brew.

I used Promash to help me out, but I'd love some feedback from some of you brewmasters.

I'm going for an American Brown Ale. Slight hop aroma and good bitterness balanced with sweet nutty malty flavor.

Grains
Pale 2-row 2lbs
Pale LME 5.5lbs
Crystal 60L 1.0lbs
Victory 8oz
Brown 8oz
Chocolate Malt 6oz

60 min at 154 for the grains

Sparge with 170

Hops
Centennial .75oz 60min
Willamette 1.0oz 10min
Willamette 1.0oz 0min

Possibly California Ale Yeast?

Promash gives these stats:
OG--1.054
SRM--19.5
IBU--35.5

ANY feedback would be great!!!!

Thanks!

Thanks jsullivan. I was going to order these ingredients today, and since you are the only response and it was positive, I'm going with it!

Personally, I'd use an English yeast to keep it from getting too dry. 002 is my go-to for beers like this. Besides that, looks tasty!

It's a fine recipe, and at this point you're just going to get comments like, "I prefer Special Roast over Victory blah blah blah." This is one of the reasons I rarely post recipes for critique on HBT... people will tell you how to make YOUR beers into THEIR beers.

Sure, if you're going into a new style completely blind it's good to get some help, but one of the most encouraging things that I hear over and over in homebrewing is: you can throw together practically any recipe, any grains, any hops, any mash procedure, any yeast and it will turn out great SO LONG AS you give all of your attention to the microbiological level of the beer. Sanitize, and take care of your yeast and your beer will never be bad. Maybe it could use a little improvement here and there, but never bad.

Back