First Recipe - KISS - Extra Pale Ale or EPA v1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camus

Reaction score
Been wanting to do this for awhile, get a taste for simple a combination of ingredients. I thought I would go for an APA or IPA, picked up some St. Lupulin and thought this is what I want to make, not clone, but start with a strong, hoppy Pale Ale.

I started looking at various recipes of what I wanted to create. In putting this together I have used Briess Pilsen Light DME as the base,for steeping I had , different amounts of Carpils,. Victory, and/or caramel **L. With the hop additions, it got pretty complicated, so I thought to heck with it, bought some 60L, Pilsen Light and Cascade and threw this together. Essentially I am trying to establish a baseline and adjust accordingly, I plan to do every other batch as such.

Here goes, 5gal full boil batch:

6 Lbs Pilsen Light
8 oz Caramel 60L

2 oz Cascade pellets @ 60
2 oz Cascade pellets @ 5

1 oz Cascade Dy hop

I am not too sure about the hop schedule, just going from beers I have made and recipes I have read.

Oh as in KISS as as in keep it simple.

I brew a similar EPA using Pilsen extract, crystal 40 and Amarillo hops. I've been adding small amounts of different malts since, so the recipe is evolving, but the simple original came out quite nice.

I brew a similar EPA using Pilsen extract, crystal 40 and Amarillo hops. I've been adding small amounts of different malts since, so the recipe is evolving, but the simple original came out quite nice.

That is good to hear, if this comes out nice I plan try it with a few different hop varieties, then try different or varying amounts of grain.

Well I just wrapped up brewing, smells excellent, tastes like it could be a good one. The contrast between sweet and bitter is huge so we will see how it evens out. Surprised on the color, a bit lighter than expected which was a pleasant surprise, light to golden. The Crystal 60L steeps pretty dark. Hit an OG of about 1.055.

Will update in about 8 weeks.

Probably be very similar to SNPA. Might want to try a side-by-side comparison when this is ready. I think you will be very pleased at how close it comes.

Latest posts

Back