First Recipe in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GodOfThunder

Reaction score
I racked my first recipe into secondary yesterday and had a question, I'll post the full recipe below.
My OG was about 1.043. I took a reading when racking it over and it read about 1.019. I wanted a low alcohol beer, but this is only about 3.1% after calculating. Should I expect some more attenuation through the secondary fermentation that can bump it up? I was expecting about 4%.

Like I said, I wanted it to be lower alcohol, so I'm not too saddened by this.

It tasted very good yesterday, and exactly what I was hoping for. I can't wait for the dry hopping to be done. The chocolate malt came through more than I thought it would, giving it a smooth roasted finish.

Brownsville India Mild
.5lb. 40L Crystal Malt (steeped 30 mins.)
.5lb. Chocolate Malt (steeped 30 mins.)
3lb. Mouton Light DME
3lb. Mouton Amber DME

1oz. Magnum Hops (60 mins.)
2oz. Centennial (flameout)
2oz. Cascade (flameout)
2oz. Amarillo (flameout)

Wyeast London III yeast

starting gravity 1.043

dry hopping in secondary:
2oz. Centennial
2oz. Cascade
2oz. Amarillo

How long was it in primary? The biggest mistake I made when I started brewing was rushing my recipes. Now I leave pretty much all my beers in primary for 3-4 weeks. You may drop a few more points in secondary, but I'd be concerned about bottle bombs with a FG that high. When you add the sugar for priming, you might restart fermentation, and then it may go too far.

Back