First recipe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbsg02

Reaction score
I have a couple of Mr. Beer brews under my belt now and want to try something better. I'm going to attempt a wheat beer that I, as well as my girlfriend and sister will enjoy, because they like those kind of beers. Here is my idea. Keep in mind I will be making a 2 gallon batch in the Mr. Beer fermenter.

2 lbs Wheat DME extract
.5 lbs Honey Malt
.25 oz Hallertau hops (60 min boil?)
Safale K-97 Dry Yeast

My idea was to steep the Honey Malt for about 30 min at 155ish, then boil with the hops for 60 minutes, adding the DME somewhere around 40 minutes into the boil.

I also had the thought of adding Raspberry flavoring at bottling, probably only .5 oz or so to the whole batch.

Any recommendations from you more experienced brewers? Thanks

Any recommended tweaks from you more experienced brewers?

I may be totally off, never made a yeast, but I would just boil the honey and dme at the same time for 60min with the hops. rasberry at bottle will give you a very fruity taste much like a leiny's.

I have a couple of Mr. Beer brews under my belt now and want to try something better. I'm going to attempt a wheat beer that I, as well as my girlfriend and sister will enjoy, because they like those kind of beers. Here is my idea. Keep in mind I will be making a 2 gallon batch in the Mr. Beer fermenter.

2 lbs Wheat DME extract
.5 lbs Honey Malt
.25 oz Hallertau hops (60 min boil?)
Safale K-97 Dry Yeast

My idea was to steep the Honey Malt for about 30 min at 155ish, then boil with the hops for 60 minutes, adding the DME somewhere around 40 minutes into the boil.

I also had the thought of adding Raspberry flavoring at bottling, probably only .5 oz or so to the whole batch.

Any recommendations from you more experienced brewers? Thanks

Any recommended tweaks from you more experienced brewers?

That sure seems like a ton of honey malt. That will be a very sweet beer. I'd use no more than .25 pound. You can steep it if you want, but I'd add some 2-row to it to make it a partial mash. Steep the grains at 155 for 45 minutes, remove them, and then pour 170 degree water over it to get to your boil volume. You can add the DME at the end of the boil as you plan- that's fine.

I've never used raspberry flavoring (or any other, come to think of it!) so I can't help with that.

I may be totally off, never made a yeast, but I would just boil the honey and dme at the same time for 60min with the hops. rasberry at bottle will give you a very fruity taste much like a leiny's.

My girlfriend likes Leinenkugels, so I'm kinda trying this out for her

My girlfriend likes Leinenkugels, so I'm kinda trying this out for her

I don't think you'll be close to Leine's (which one? Berry weiss?) because Leine's is a lager, but it might be fruity and sweet and she may like it.

DON'T boil honey malt! Steep, and then remove.

That sure seems like a ton of honey malt. That will be a very sweet beer. I'd use no more than .25 pound. You can steep it if you want, but I'd add some 2-row to it to make it a partial mash. Steep the grains at 155 for 45 minutes, remove them, and then pour 170 degree water over it to get to your boil volume. You can add the DME at the end of the boil as you plan- that's fine.

I've never used raspberry flavoring (or any other, come to think of it!) so I can't help with that.

Thanks for the advice. I used .5 pounds of Honey malt cause that's as low as Pro Mash would let me go, and I believe that put it at 20% of the fermentables. I will go with your advice and probably just use .25 pound then.

I don't think you'll be close to Leine's (which one? Berry weiss?) because Leine's is a lager, but it might be fruity and sweet and she may like it.

DON'T boil honey malt! Steep, and then remove.

She really likes the Sunset Wheat from them, or really, most any wheat beer for that matter. I wasn't trying to clone any recipe really. Just trying to make something kind of sweet and fruity that she and my sister would appreciate.

She really likes the Sunset Wheat from them, or really, most any wheat beer for that matter. I wasn't trying to clone any recipe really. Just trying to make something kind of sweet and fruity that she and my sister would appreciate.

I get more "blueberry" from Sunset Wheat than raspberry. but fruity is a good description.

I think Sunset Wheat taste like Fruity Pebbles cereal. Too bad you can't crush the cereal and mash that!

I get more "blueberry" from Sunset Wheat than raspberry. but fruity is a good description.

I think Sunset Wheat taste like Fruity Pebbles cereal. Too bad you can't crush the cereal and mash that!

That's funny, because she said the same thing about it reminding her of fruity pebbles! Do you have any suggestions about the hops for a beer like this?

Back