First recipe attempt with what I have on hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to run this by you all to get your input. I like my IPAs and Pale Ales, the more hoppy the better. Now that I have BeerSmith I have entered in some recipes from here and my BYO subscription, but I wanted to tinker around with coming up with something with the ingredients I have on hand. Well I have 95% or more of them on hand but will note what I would have to go out and get.

Please note this would be a BIAB (Wilsner Bag), with a basic keggle as my brew pot and my Blichmann propane burner. I have my equipment profile configured, but adjusting as I dial things in.

Here is what I am thinking:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 %
Bitterness: 71.9 IBUs
Est Color: 6.8 SRM

Amt Name %/IBU
12 lbs 2 Row US Malt 82.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt 10.3 %
12.0 oz Carared 5.1 %
5.9 oz Caramel Malt 60L 2.5 %
1.00 oz Warrior 14.90% Boil 60.0 min 37.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Bravo 10.50% Boil 30.0 min 20.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo 9.20% Boil 5.0 min 4.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra 12.00% Whirlpool 20 min 9.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade 5.50% Dry Hop 4.0 Days 0.0 IBUs

Yeast is unknown at this time but I have new US-04, harvested WLP001, Wyeast 1272, Danstart BRY-97, and Wyeast Ringwood (well expired but will build up a starter).

The only ingredient I do not have on hand is the "Carared". I do have Munich and Biscuit on hand if that would be a better alternative. I have about 43 pounds of the 2-row, 15 pounds of the munich and wheat each, plus all the hops (except Cascade) I have half to almost a full pound left. So if I need to adjust any of the amounts I can pretty easily.

So be honest, what do you think? Does it sound/look good? I know some will say, try it and see what you think and go from there. Since I'm new to all of this I wanted to make sure something didn't stand out that is a big NO. Thank you all!

Also, sorry about the formatting of the ingredient.

It looks good, nice and hoppy. You won't really need the carared unless you want it for a little coloring, will probably be somewhat lost in the hop forwardness anyway. Crystal 20 could substitute but different coloring.

For yeast the BRY97, WLP001, or WY1272 look like the best choice for your hops.

You'll have a nice Summertime brew.

Id swap the carared for munich then. I'd definitely keep the total amount fo crystal/caramel malts below 5% for ANY hop forward beer. Im a big fan of wheat in hoppy beers to. I usually like 15-20% in my IPAs to help mouthfeel, head retention, and bring out the juicy flvors from teh hops

I also might try movignt that 30min bravo later in the boil so you can actually taste it. Maybe do the amarillo, citra and bravo all in a whrilpool

Id probably use wy1272 or wlp001. Not a fan of s04 at all

Great thanks for the feedback guys.

If I move the bravo, Citra and Amarillo to the whirlpool it would drop the IBUs a lot, right? I do have plenty of them to keep or adjust the schedule and keep them in the whirlpool too. What are the thoughts on that?

Also, I'll also have a pound of Falconers Flight and Sorchi Ace in a couple of weeks. Should I incorporate any of them into the mix?

Thanks again guys!!

Falconer's Flight is a pretty good combo blend for IPAs. Not too over the top, good American base that you can highlight with your citra and amarillo. I taste a lot of dill pickle from sorachi ace, which is too bad since some get lemon from it. What have been your findings?

Falconer's Flight is a pretty good combo blend for IPAs. Not too over the top, good American base that you can highlight with your citra and amarillo. I taste a lot of dill pickle from sorachi ace, which is too bad since some get lemon from it. What have been your findings?

I haven't picked up my order yet. I'll get my hands on the Falconer's Flight & Sorachi Ace next week when I'm in Ohio for my trip. I hope I don't get a lot of dill from my Sorachi Ace. Only time will tell.

It looks good, nice and hoppy. You won't really need the carared unless you want it for a little coloring, will probably be somewhat lost in the hop forwardness anyway. Crystal 20 could substitute but different coloring.

For yeast the BRY97, WLP001, or WY1272 look like the best choice for your hops.

You'll have a nice Summertime brew.

Thanks for the feedback Build! If the carared is really not needed then its gone. Do you think I should replace it or just take it out and have it a little lighter in color? I do have some crystal 20 on hand. Would that clash with the little bit of crystal 60 in the recipe if I added some of the 20 to it?

Also, out of the three yeasts you mentioned, do you have a preference on any of them? Just curious to know what others think. Also, I forgot to mention I do have a fresh packet of Danstart Nottingham yeast too if that makes any difference.

Id swap the carared for munich then. I'd definitely keep the total amount fo crystal/caramel malts below 5% for ANY hop forward beer. Im a big fan of wheat in hoppy beers to. I usually like 15-20% in my IPAs to help mouthfeel, head retention, and bring out the juicy flvors from teh hops

I also might try movignt that 30min bravo later in the boil so you can actually taste it. Maybe do the amarillo, citra and bravo all in a whrilpool

Id probably use wy1272 or wlp001. Not a fan of s04 at all

m00ps, thank you too for your feedback! Would you swap the carared for munich and increase the wheat %? Or just drop the carared and increase the wheat? I have no idea if munich and wheat would clash for an IPA.

If I move the Bravo hops to later in the boil or whirlpool, wouldn't the IBUs go down quite a bit? Or should I keep the Bravo hops in during the boil at 30mins +/- and add some to the whirlpool too? Just curious and trying to better understand all that goes into building a recipe from the ground up.

Also, do you have a preference of one vs the other yeast (wy1272 vs. wlp001)? Again just curious for others opinions and what not.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it! I hope to brew it next month when my in-laws is up visiting. My father in-law is very interested in brewing a BIAB batch with me. He is all extract right now and has been in FL and TX for the winter and hasn't brewed in months. So I have time to make changes and what not to the recipe.

To me the carared is somewhat similar to crystal 20 except for the color. C20 seems a bit sweeter and less malty though. I would probably leave it out unless you want the coloring. With the C60 you'll get some sweet maltyness to balance your hops. I saw a recipe that was 80% RedX malt, that's like drinking malted blood.

I use BRY97, WLP001, WY1272, and Notty regularly. The BRY97 and Notty will floc faster and clearer than the other two. Notty seems better in darker British styles to me, but it can be good in pales and IPAs. Both WLP001 and WY1272 are hop forward, clean, attentive, and pretty great. The 1272 seems a bit more fruity to me. I like them both. WLP001/US05/1056 is probably the most used craft yeast for good reason. If I were you I would randomly pick one, BRY97, WLP001, WY1272 and go brew a great beer. Let us know how it turns out.

to me less is more. I like 2-4 well balanced hops. Just like a great grist and a perfect yeast strain. Hops should play to the others strengths not muddy the water so to speak. There are too many newish brew buddies of mine that are like you, love everything hoppy, and the brew ends up tasting like they scooped up some pond algae and threw that in while they were at it. I have even smelled one next to my pond water, and believe it or not blind folded the brewer, 1 glass of my retention pond water and his brew. He did not know which was which based on aroma. Warrior/Mosaic/Columbus/Cluster boil but El Dorado/Nelson Sauvin dry hop was his combo. But back to my point, I think less is usually more. Try to pick the best combination to your liking then play with the minerals and hop schedules you will get it in the ball park and will continue to improve it every step of the way.

Back