First problem ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcman73

Reaction score
So, I brewed an all grain recipe for a pumpkin Ale, it was a kit from Midwest and I used white labs California yeast. I hit my SG and pitched it into my new stainless conical and used a temperate controller.

I measured my FG and it was spot on, taste was great. I kegged it after 5 weeks and force carbonated it in my kegerator. After a few days I went to taste it and it tastes good but not that much hint of the spices I added (cinnamon and such) and it has a bit of a "yeast" smell to it. The look of it is also a bit light and not as golden along with it being cloudy, as if it were a wheat beer. For the cloudiness, I did forget to toss in a clarifier at the end of boil like I usually do.. But, why a yeast smell? My other three pumpkin brews had a nice spice smell to it as it should. What could have I done wrong?

Fermentation temp were stable throughout the entire Fermentation. I did dump the trub from it after 4 days from the dump valve which I never did before (used carboys) but no sure that would have affected it.

Since it's already kegged and carbonated, anything I can do now?

I've never had an issue before and I've brewed about 40 brews so far.

Thanks.

A "few days" in the cooler may be long enough for all the yeast and other haze components to settle out. I'd give it another week at least before declaring it an issue.

Brew on :mug:

Make a tea with the spices ( cin, nutmeg, ginger, n clove) and add them back in. This will also hide yet yeast smell.

Spices get dumbed down in fermenting. Reason you need to use a lot of them when adding them during the Boil. Adding them in a tea after fermentation is like dry hopping. Start with a little. You can always add more but you can't remove once in.

Not sure about the cause of the yeast smell if you held temps n such. Could be a number of things depending on your processes.
Sure it didn't heat up to much while fermenting?

Make a tea and add it to the keg in the fridge?

I'm 100%positive the temp never got to warm, I held the temp at 71.8-72.9 the whole time.

Also, use a tea bag type filter to make that tea with the spices?

Just an update, I made that tea of cinnamon and nutmeg. Popped it in the keg for about an hour, shook it around for a bit before taking it out and, the beer is perfect now. Thanks Codfishhead.

Sorry didn't see this till now. I brewed yesterday. One of my favorite beers. Autumn Tumber.

Awesome. Glad I could help.

You can make a tea of just about anything you want to add to your beer. I Boil it and filter it before adding it in and cold crashing. Coffee filters work well for this.

I didn't boil the tea I made of the spices and I used a coffee filter to hold the spices before putting it into the keg. I did spray some starsan onto the bag, let it drip prior to putting it into the beer.

Since you boiled yours first, did you cool the water down and add that to the beer? If not, wouldn't that tea you prepared be week as all the flavoring would have been brewed out? This was the reason why I didn't boil mine.

Back