First post and first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demarco88

Reaction score
Hello everyone all the way from mexico city..... I did my first brew last thursday wich was an all grain.... so i didt everything and the first days i had some activity on the airlock but i didnt notice any Krausen..... also now i only see tiny little bubles going on.... is it stuck done or whats up? im fermenting in a carboy if i were to take out some for a hydrometer reading how should i do it?

Thanks in advance

It depends on the yeast that you used. If it was an old packet of dried yeast, it might take a couple of days before you see it really get fermenting. But after this much time I suppose there should probably be a bit more than a few bubbles. What temperature was the wort when you pitched the yeast? If it was still hot you would have killed most of the yeast, in which case you'd need to add another packet, assuming you're using dry yeast.

You should always take a hydrometer reading before you add your yeast. After that, you can use a wine-thief or turkey baster that you sanitize first in order to get a sample for your hydrometer.

if you are just getting started, check out http://howtobrew.com/. If it's available to you, find the latest edition in print.

Also, if you are just getting started, I think the first question I'd have for you is how are you sanitizing? This is really the first thing to think about for a brand new brewer.

These are all very rudimentary pieces of information and I apologize if they are condescending and you are beyond this information already, but it sounds like you are just getting started.

Thanks for the answer.... At first there was quite some activity for after only a few days it looked like it slowed down since now I only se really really small bubbles one or two regular size here and there bit that's about it.... On the sanitising part I'm using clorox like I saw on an online video... Now if I were to add another pack I would have to start it right?

Thanks

Demarco88 said:
Thanks for the answer.... At first there was quite some activity for after only a few days it looked like it slowed down since now I only se really really small bubbles one or two regular size here and there bit that's about it.... On the sanitising part I'm using clorox like I saw on an online video... Now if I were to add another pack I would have to start it right?

Thanks

Vigorous fermentation only lasts a few days. Sounds like everything is fine to me. Take a hydrometer reading every other day or so to track your gravity. Wait until its been at least 14 days or so until you think about bottling.

Ok ill give it more time to brew.... One last question how many grams of sugar must be added for proper carbonation?

Thanks a lot

I force carb and haven't primed in a while, but beersmith tells me that for 5 gallons at 2.3 volumes you'd want about 113 grams of sugar. good luck.

Back