First Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOmite

Reaction score
What do you guys think about this Porter recipe?

I really enjoy stones smoked porter, but I would like to make a porter that is a little creamier and sweeter, rather than smoky. Although, I don't want to completely skimp on the smoky flavor.

Anyway, I figured the Crystal 60L and Special-B will add the desired caramel sweetness and the chocolate and roasted barley will add the smoky / coffee flavor.

Malt
• 4lb LME

Specialty Grains
• 0.9 lb Crystal 60L
• 0.7 lb Chocolate
• 0.4 lb Special-B
• 0.3 lb Roasted Barley

Extra Stuff
• 1 tablespoon Irish Moss (15 minutes left in boil)

Hops
• 0.6oz Warrior 16%AA (60 minutes)
• 0.6oz Willamette 5% AA (10 minutes)

Yeast
• White Labs English Ale
SOP
• Mash temp: 150F (45 minutes)
• Steep with 1-1.5gallons at 200F

Also, I think a hint of vanilla would be tasty. How much would I want to add to achieve a slight vanilla flavor / aroma? Moreover, when would I add it?

I am hoping the hops will add a nice bitter bite.

Thanks

I think Stone actually uses some smoked malt in their porter. You could buy that, DIY, or leave it out altogether... I've had mixed results, at best, using smoked malts.

you shouldn't have to mash those specialty grains - even if you did there's minimal diastatic enzymes present.

i don't mean to be pedantic about steeping vs. mashing, just trying to save some headache.

personally i prefer roasted barley to black patent. if that means i'm making/drinking stout instead of porter... so be it.

yeah, swap it 1/1, rest of the recipe looks ok, I haven't checked percentages, maybe down the total amount of crystal malt, as .9 and .4 together is 1.3 pounds of crystal, and that seems like an awful lot.

Yeah, I was just thinking that also. I think I will bump the crystal down to .6 lb, since I still want the caramel to come through.

Any suggestions regarding the vanilla? If anything, a little vanilla aroma might be nice.

Here are the percentages I have:

10.2% Crystal 60L
11.9% Chocolate
6.8% Special B
3.4% Roasted Barely or Black Patent

According to my research, I am in the proper range for the chocolate malts. The Carmel comes out to about 17% altogether, so that might still be a little high, but I do want some of that sweetness shine through. I think bitter warrior hops will keep it from getting too sweet.

How does Roasted Barely compare to Black Patent? Beer tools claims Black Patent is dry and chalky. I am not sure if that is what I need in this, but it might be, to help balance the sweet caramel malts. I went with Roasted Barely, because I see it in so many recipes, ranging from brown ales to stouts.

don't forget that pound for pound extract counts more than grain.

At 75% efficiency, you get about 27 points/lb.gal. (ppg) from grain.
DME is 47 ppg, and LME is 36 ppg. For anything other than plain light
extract, you're on your own. There's no way to know what's in amber or
dark extracts, so there's no reliable way to convert the ingredients.
You can pnly convert the fermentables.

------->Denny

Back