First porter (maybe brandy)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eye-of-ra

Reaction score
I've brewed a few batches (3 dozen or so) and am pretty good with partial mashing. I've done 4 or 5 different stouts, a basic, an oatmeal, a toffee, all turned out great but the girlfriend wants me to try a porter. No problem except she wants me to try and do a brandy porter like a local microbrewery does. What I'm hoping for here is to get some tips on how to do a nice brandy porter.

A little background to how I brew: I do 5.5 gallon batches, typically I like to rack to a second fermentor, and I bottle condition (please don't tell me to keg, I don't keg, I don't want to keg, you are simply wasting time suggesting it)

I've seen a recipe online that calls for 2 tbls of vanilla extract added to the 2nd fermentor and 3/4 cup of Brandy to the bottling bucket at bottling time. Does that sound right? Any other suggestions? :mug:

If you want vanilla and brandy, you could soak vanilla beans in some brandy for a about a week. Fresh vanilla beans are a little more pungent (Madagascar vanilla beans have a very sweet aroma), but are more expensive though.

But what you listed sounds like it should work out though. Just be sure to do the math to make sure your yeast are well within their ABV tolerance after adding that brandy.

Edit: I might also recommend skipping racking to a secondary. Dumping extra alcohol in could stress your yeast, which will already be a little thinned out by racking to a secondary.

I would soak a split vanilla bean in a jar of brandy for a week or two and then add the brandy/vanilla at bottling. I would also bottle some of it as a plain porter to compare the brandy portion to. That way, if there is something that doesn't taste right about the brandy porter, you can go back and try the plain version to better identify if the problem is with the base beer or with your brandy addition. Lastly, I'd try adding different ratios of the brandy to different bottles. I'd start with a barely detectable level, then do a medium, then slightly more. That way, when you brew it again, you can know which ratio is the best. Don't forget to take very careful measurements and notes so that your work isn't in vain!

Thanks for the awesome tips!!

I have the wort on boil as I type and think I've decided to go with these suggestions.

1. I'm going to keep it in the primary for the full fermentation to help the little yeasties out.
2. I'm going to bottle a 6 pack of the basic porter first, then add the additions and see how it goes.

FYI - I'm not ignoring the other tips. I'm not ready to take a loan for the vanilla beans :) so I'm sticking with extract for this run. And I don't quite have the patience to do incremental brandy additions. I know they are both excellent tips, I'm just not ready for them. If this comes close, I'll definitely try again and utilize the other tips!!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!
:mug:

New little wrinkle.

I just got the batch in the primary and took my OG. It 1.070. I've never had a beer this strong. Should I plan on pitching some more yeast? I use Whites Lab English ale WLP 002, one vile. :eek:

New little wrinkle.

I just got the batch in the primary and took my OG. It 1.070. I've never had a beer this strong. Should I plan on pitching some more yeast? I use Whites Lab English ale WLP 002, one vile. :eek:

Haha, it happens =P and yeah, anything over 1.060 merits a starter or an extra pack.

WLP002's max alcohol tolerance is 10% from what I've read online, so like I mentioned before, make sure you do the math when adding the liquor to make sure you don't kill your yeast.

When should I pitch the additional yeast? Right away or wait a bit?

I know they say there are no stupid questions but I feel like I just asked the first ever. :smack:

I'd say sooner rather than later, better to add it while the conditions are best for the yeast. Otherwise you run a risk of stressing your yeast and getting off-flavors.

For that size beer you should use a 6.4 liter starter or pitch 4 vials.

All the yeast gets added at the beginning.

Your one vial will still make beer, but if you start pitching at the recommended rates, your beer should improve vastly!

The Porter is in the bottles!!

I bottled a 6 pack of just the porter to see how it tastes by itself. I add the brandy and vanilla to the remainder of the batch. It smelled incredible!!! I did taste a little and it tasted OK. Hopefully a couple of months in the bottle will smooth it out. I'll keep you informed when we crack one open at the end of September.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

:mug:

Back