First PM, so many questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky137

Reaction score
... but I'm only going to ask one for now. I'm trying to convert allgrain to PM (by the seat of my pants, trying to learn all about gravity and efficiency and what not), and wondering something. If I enter the allgrain recipe into the Brewer's Friend calculator and get an OG of 1.063 (5 gallons), and I know I want to add a single can (3.3 lbs) of LME (1.024 OG in 5 gallons), can I just subtract base grains from the allgrain recipe until it hits 1.029? (i.e., 1.029 [grains] + 1.024 [LME} = 1.063 OG)? Am I totally off here or is this the right idea?

OK, two questions. anyone know a good recipe calculator that you can add both grain and extract ingredients to??

Brewtarget is free and excellent. Beersmith is not free, but is the industry standard. QBrew is also pretty good and is free, but isn't quite as extensive as the others. There are other calculators out there.

Converting recipies isn't that hard. Rule of thumb is that 1 lb of grain = 0.6 lbs DME = 0.75 lbs LME.

The idea is sound, but check your math. 29 points of grains + 24 points of extract = 1.053, not 1.063. You should subtract grain from the recipe to get to 1.039.

However, the formula mojo_wire posted will potentially make things easier.

I use Beersmith for recipe creation and tracking. It's not free, but it's pretty cheap and you can try it for a month for free. It has lots of grains and extracts in its database and lets you add both to a recipe, and you can also add your own ingredients to the database if there's not an entry already.

OK how does this look. I'm going from this:

8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

To this:

3.30 lb Dark LME
4.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.25 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

Is that correct? To scale both the 2 row and the munich, because (and I think I'm right here) they are both base grains, yesss???

Haha thanks.

The idea is sound, but check your math. 29 points of grains + 24 points of extract = 1.053, not 1.063. You should subtract grain from the recipe to get to 1.039.

However, the formula mojo_wire posted will potentially make things easier.

I use Beersmith for recipe creation and tracking. It's not free, but it's pretty cheap and you can try it for a month for free. It has lots of grains and extracts in its database and lets you add both to a recipe, and you can also add your own ingredients to the database if there's not an entry already.

Oh shizza you're right, wow that was terrible math on my part haha. I'm at work now, but will definitely check out Beersmith when I get home.

Back