First original recipe. Take a look!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandobud16

Reaction score
I am attempting to create an American brown ale. I'm using BrewTarget to gauge my malt/hop measurements. Does this look alright? Let me know what you all think. Does this seem like too much or too little of anything? Thanks guys!:mug:

9.5 lb 2-row
1.0 lb Crystal 60L
2.5 oz Chocolate (350L)
2.5 oz Smoked Malt

1.0 oz Challenger 60 min.
0.5 oz Challenger 15 min.
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min.

Whirlfloc tablet 10 min.

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Mast @ 152 F

I am attempting to create an American brown ale. I'm using BrewTarget to gauge my malt/hop measurements. Does this look alright? Let me know what you all think. Does this seem like too much or too little of anything? Thanks guys!:mug:

9.5 lb 2-row
1.0 lb Crystal 60L
2.5 oz Chocolate (350L)
2.5 oz Smoked Malt

1.0 oz Challenger 60 min.
0.5 oz Challenger 15 min.
0.5 oz Cascade 15 min.

Whirlfloc tablet 10 min.

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Mast @ 152 F

i'm not an expert, so take my opinion fwiw.

i definitely think you have too much chocolate and smoked malt. if i were you, i would eliminate the smoked malt altogether and bring your chocolate malt down to 0.5-1 pounds. i just made a brown ale, and i have a noticeably smoky flavor from only using 0.5 pounds of chocolate malt. maybe you can add some aromatic malt for a little bit more complexity.

again, take my opinion fwiw. i think this recipe will produce an extremely smoky/robust beer. if that's what you're going for, i'd say take a stab at it!

hop schedule looks good!

good luck:mug:

EDIT: just noticed you had your smoked/chocolate malts in oz not lbs...durr:drunk:

I haven't done to many brown ales so I wont give any advice but I just thought that I would point out that the chocolate and smoked malt is ounces, not pounds...I see you caught that brewski

frankstoneline said:
Seems like a good place to start, maybe a touch less 60l? maybe 8-10oz, 3-4 oz chocolate and 2 oz smoked?

Are you thinking that 1 lb of crystal 60 will bring too much sweetness? Thanks for the tips!

I put your recipe in Beersmith to get a look at it because your specialty grains looked really low to me. As I suspected, your beer is gonna be pretty light in color. According to my program, it comes in at 14.2 SRM whereas the American Brown Ale category is usually between 18-35 SRM. Most of the brown ales I've seen have been on the darker side of that.

My suggestions would be to up the Chocolate Malt to 8 ounces. Add a little, Crystal-120 for complexity and some Carafa II to adjust the color a bit. Also, I lowered your Pale malt a bit just to keep the gravity right. Here's what I came up with for the grain bill.

9 lb Pale
1 lb C-60
8 ounces C-120
8 ounces C-60
8 ounces Chocolate
4 ounces Carafa II
2.5 ounces Smoked

You could also drop the C-120 and increase the Carafa II a bit to maintain the same color. Just be aware that adding too much Carafa can leave you with a roasted flavor. Of course, that might be nice with the smoked malt.

The rest of the recipe looks good to me.

In my non-expert opinion OP, I would brew your original recipe as I don't see anything way out of whack. Brew it and see how you like it! It may turn out to be something you really enjoy.
If I was brewing that, I would drop the Smoked malt and up the Chocolate to 5oz. But thats just me.

Brew what you want! :mug:

Back