First no-kit extract brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHAIV

Reaction score
So I've done extract and all grain and biab. I just don't have a lot of time to brew so I'm doing an extract brew that I put together. I'm just wondering what everyone thinks about this recipe I've formulated and if anyone thinks it's not going to be as good as I think it will. I love ipas and session ipas so this should be a session able ipa with plenty of hop flavor. Also this is the first beer I'm using my homegrown hops in which are the 30 min addition. Ok enough rambling here's what I got from brewers friend recipe calculator.

View attachment 1480766349863.jpg

View attachment 1480766381711.jpg

Well it looks like a nice APA or pale ale but I dont think 97 IBU is correct. It should be somewhat balanced malt to Ibu wise. Watch the fermentastion temps and it should be pretty good.:mug:

Since it is impossible to know the AA of homegrown hops I would move them to a flameout addition for flavor and aroma. If you are looking for an IPA, I would at at least 2 more ounces of hops at 10 minutes or later. You might do a dry hop with them.

Eliminate the 30 minute addition, add a little at the 60 if needed to keep the IBUs at the right level.

So how true is the saying that 60 min hops are for bittering, 30 min for flavoring and late additions for aromas? That's why I put all my homegrown hops at 30 min for the most flavor coming from them

Also yeah the ibus surprised me too, it'll be a full boil batch, when I changed the boil volume from 5 gal to 5.5 gal the ibus went up. Idk why though

I have considered getting an oz of magnum or something for bittering, how does that sound

What's happened over the years is the consensus of how much you should boil hops to get good flavor/aroma rather than bitterness has shifted towards less and less. Personally I just dump 'em in after the boil's over and mix them around for forty minutes or so after I cut the flame. Put in enough hops that way and you barely need to boil anything at all with extract batches. See this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/15-minute-brew-process.html

Anything that is flavor will still be there at 1 minute left in the boil, but the aroma part will be there too. For my money 30 minute additions are helpful to get the IBUs you want without having to measure a 16th of an ounce of hops. To showcase your home grown hops, put the majority in at late addition, flameout and dry hop. Just put in enough at 60 minutes to get 20 IBUs or so. Top this beer out at 40 IBUs and if that leaves you with a bunch of hops then dry hop.

What's happened over the years is the consensus of how much you should boil hops to get good flavor/aroma rather than bitterness has shifted towards less and less. Personally I just dump 'em in after the boil's over and mix them around for forty minutes or so after I cut the flame. Put in enough hops that way and you barely need to boil anything at all with extract batches. See this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/15-minute-brew-process.html

Well that link sent me to a thread about spaten beer on germany.
Anyway I guess you're right, I don't even have to do a 60 min boil. Maybe I'll cut it down to 30 min boil and add a 10 min hop stand.

View attachment 1481283836289.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1483380221.691412.jpg
This ended up being the final recipe. I didnt have as much hops as I thought. I only weighed them when my buddy brought over his scale on brew day. And I got in the keg now and drank some yesterday while we brewed a stout. It's not quite as hoppy as I'd like it but it did turn out pretty good. I did a 30 min boil and a 10 min whirlpool hop stand at the end. Cheers and thanks for any input you gave me guys!

Back