First mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xanadu

Reaction score
hi, I have just had a go at making my first 1 gallon of mead. I used 3 pounds of Honey, 1tsp of nutrient and 1g of champagne yeast, OG was 1.10. fermentation seemed to stop going by the airlock after 14 days si I racked it Graverty was 1.03. There is no movement in the airlock. I would like to add some fiz but I would also l8ke to add some fruit to give it a bit of a fruity taste. My question is 1) is it too early to bottle, and how much Honey would I need to add to give it a fiz? 2) can I add fruit and leave for a while and then add Honey before bottling to get a fizz?

Read the hydrometer to 3 decimal places.

Hydrometer measurement is the only way to monitor fermentation progress. Bubbles are for entertainment purposes only ;)

Yes, it is definitely too early to bottle. You always need to make sure the final gravity is stable before bottling.

Identical readings a week apart may indicate it is stable (finished fermenting).
Also ask whether the final gravity makes sense...
What is the alcohol tolerance of your yeast?
What is the current ABV?
Is the current specific gravity near the expected FG?

Wait for it to finish before thinking about adding fruit.

Assuming it ferments completely dry, you should be able to bottle carbonate. The level of carbonation you desire determines how much honey to add.
Are you using beer bottles or cork & cage sparkling wine/champagne bottles?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back