First Mead - JOAM - Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terranova1340

Reaction score
Background: I am new to home brewing of any kind. I have spent the better part of the last month researching different types of home brews and have settled on JOAM as my first foray into brewing.

Question: I have found a ton of information on JOAM on this site, as well as other sites, as well as different youtube videos relating to the subject. One question I have continually seen surrounds that of yeast. The most common answer I have found is to use the yeast that the recipe recommends. This is well and fine. However, I am slightly confused as to which yeast is actually being recommended. Obviously I know the brand that is recommended is fleischmann's and I have seen that people recommend not using the bread machine or rapid rise. What I haven't seen is what is the difference between "Active Dry" and "Instant Dry". I have new "Instant Dry" I feel as though it ought to work. But I can't seem to find any information on the difference between the two as it pertains to JOAM.

Thanks in Advance

The difference between these types of dry yeast is simple and doesn't effect mead makers. Active dry yeast has a larger granule and needs to be dissolved in water before using, if making bread, while instant yeast has a more fine texture and can be mixed right into dry ingredients.

Never tried to make a JAOM but I think that instant yeast is designed to be added directly to dry ingredients (flour) - so is not "rehydrated" before use whereas bread yeast is designed to be rehydrated in liquid (water) first. Not sure why that is a critical issue with a JAOM but it might be given the pH of the must etc

The "instant" baking yeast is produced by a different freeze-dry process which is gentler on the yeast cells with the result that more of them survive the drying process - i.e. there is less dead yeast in the same amount than in the "standard" one. It also has some additives mixed in like vitamin C etc. which help revive the dried yeast quicker.
(beside a homebrewer I'm also a home baker)

Latest posts

Back