First mead : hybrid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
So I got a wild hair and decided to make a mead this is my recipe

8 lbs clover honey
2 lbs light agave nectar
Two quarts smuckers concord grape jam
1 gallon warm water to dissolve filled five gallon fermenter to about 4.5 gal with no sugar added apple juice
Added pectic enzyme and pitched red star champagne yeast started made with apple juice and honey OG was 1.12 I staggered nutrient and energizer and after 10 days o racked at 1.03 and topped up with more apple juice didn't test sg after that. Oops! Oh well. It tasted great at racking. Has anybody tried something similar? I'm sure it might not be a true mead due to the other fermentable sugars but what would be a good name for this? Since I was an mma fighter and I did bjj I kinda like the name grapple mead. How does that sound?

With the champagne yeast it will likely go dry, and be above 15%.
Honey, agave, concord and apple sound like a great combo to me .

I have a mead with agave, and a concord pyment, but I haven't tried this combo yet

Its pretty cloudy right now but the color is really nice and is pretty high abv already but a nice flavor

Back