first mead and I think it's stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djkyoni

Reaction score
tried my hand at a mead and it's OG was 1.111, after 2.5 months it's reading at 1.027. I used about 2.5 lbs of honey and some lingonberry concentrate along with some oranges. As of now it's cleared and the gravity hasn't really moved in a week or two. But I just feel like the FG should be lower than it is, should I pitch some more yeast in there or just leave it be for a few more months?

Your yeast might be done, but IMO thats pretty sweet.

Some things to try. Check the pH and adjust to 3.3 - 3.5 with calcium carbonate. Raise the temp by 3 to 7 degrees f (Bring it to a warmer room or set under a kitchen counter with a heat duct that runs through it.) Agitate the yeast cake by shaking it with the air lock in place. (At this point i would not introduce too much air.)

Wait another few days and if all that fails start Lalvin EC-1118 (Or something equally aggresive.) for 24 hours with some of the must and a bit of water.

If still no-go then add about 10% water and do all of the above again.

If you dont want to mess with all that then stabilize it and drink it as is. Call it a desert mead. (I cant help with that someone else will need to chime in.)

after 2.5 months your yeast is probably pretty dormant.
Also 1.027 is not too crazy sweet. And you've got 11% ABV there so no big deal.

How does it taste?

after 2.5 months your yeast is probably pretty dormant.
Also 1.027 is not too crazy sweet. And you've got 11% ABV there so no big deal.

How does it taste?

11? my readings I was getting 7.36?

I wouldn't worry too much about it, If you like it then drink it, I agree with CKuhns if you want it to be stronger try a bit of water and add a more aggressive yeast, Ive had to do that in the past.

Back