First Lowsy-Tasting Batch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shepherd5

Reaction score
I recently brewed the AHS IPA, the kit. Everything went well, but I wasn't happy with the amount of hops in the kit, only because my last two brews were very hoppy IPA's. I wanted to try something different, so I ordered the kit. Being the experimentive type, without without asking for advice, I dumped two ounces of additional magnum hops into the fermenter, along with the other dryhop addition. I found out after the fact, that magnum isn't a good choice for dryhopping. Anyway, I kegged up the beer, gave it a taste last night, and EEEYYYYWWW, it tastes crappy. It is hard to discribe the aroma and flavor, and I don't think it is infected, it just tastes crappy.

So, I decided to just leave it in the keg for a few weeks, see how things progress, that maybe it might improve with time. I blame myself for this unfortunate occurrence, but I guess I will chock it up to my attempt at being spontaneously careless about my choice of hops, just because they were extra. What can I say, I am still a newb at this.

do you not like SN's Torpedo? that dry hops with magnum, so I doubt those are what killed it. just give it more time, im sure it'll come around

We recently made an IPA and it did not taste good early on. Tasted 2 months later and found it had really mellowed. I recommend giving it time and the flavors may meld. I know normally you don't want to do that with IPAs because the hop flavor fades over time but you still need some time up front.

I'm with you, I've learned the hard way not to throw questionable hops into the dry hop. I ruined an IPA with old Cascades in the dry hop. It's downright awful!

Back