First low temp ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
I brew ales that can typically ride from the mid 60s to the mid 70s (WLP007 and 001). However, I just brewed my first ever Irish Red as a wedding gift. Brew day went beautifully and it smelled like an Irish Red, but now for the fermentation.

I went with Wy1084 based on availability. I currently have the fermenter in a swamp cooler reading about 64. The goal is to keep it 60-64 for a few days then free rise to finish up. This guy likes Killians (gross), soI figure the colder and cleaner the better.

I've never bothered to keep anything that cold for that long before. I'm already noticing some lag. Other than ice packs in my swamp cooler, I have no other temp control.

There is already noticeable lag; at 16 hours I have little to no activity, whereas that time usually shows a vigorous startup. Is this normal with 1084 at this temp? Should I continue to pursue this low temp to maintain a very clean character despite some sluggishness from the yeast?

If you are comparing to A ferment in the 70s, yes you will see a lag. 70s is too warm for both those yeasts. The yeast will love the warmer temperature, but you will get better flavors if you keep the wort cool for the beginning of the fermentation.

A vigorous ferment is not always desirable. Keep the temperature in the mid sixties and you should get activity soon. Do the same the next time you use 007 or 001. I think you will like the results.

If you are comparing to A ferment in the 70s, yes you will see a lag. 70s is too warm for both those yeasts. The yeast will love the warmer temperature, but you will get better flavors if you keep the wort cool for the beginning of the fermentation.

A vigorous ferment is not always desirable. Keep the temperature in the mid sixties and you should get activity soon. Do the same the next time you use 007 or 001. I think you will like the results.
Starting 001 at 68 and letting it go to 70 has given me insanely clean results time and time again. I can't stand it any lower actually---weird esters. 007 I also like the character warmer. Too cold and it loses all of its pizazz. Glad to hear my lag is typical though. I know I pitched plenty of healthy yeast.

It actually sounds like your temperature control is decent. Too many people talk of fermenting at 70 degrees are really at the ambient temperature and the fermentation temperature is really rising into the mid 70s or worse.

But yes, cooler is usually slower and less active in both lag time and total time.

It actually sounds like your temperature control is decent. Too many people talk of fermenting at 70 degrees are really at the ambient temperature and the fermentation temperature is really rising into the mid 70s or worse.

But yes, cooler is usually slower and less active in both lag time and total time.
I'll admit that I used to be that person. Lol. Nowadays I'm taking much closer care with my ferm temps.

Latest posts

Back