First, last, and best concerts you have attended.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first: Heart Bebe le Strange tour at home in Seattle

last: Santana

best: Queenreich on Dec 31st 1990, with Rush 'Roll the Bones' tour (front row seat) a close second

worst: Rolling Stones, Steel Wheels tour. I fell asleep somewhere around the 3rd or 4th song, and was woke up when the guys I attended with shook me to say the concert had been over for 10 minutes and they were wanting to walk out

First: 1990 The Channel Night Club in Boston: Pantera -> Exodus -> Suicidal Tendencies

Last: August 4th 2019 at the Palladium in Worcester: Clutch

Best: Every moe. show I've been to (over 100 times I've lost count). They continue to melt my face off every time!

Next show: October 4th 2019 house of Blues Boston: Black Label Society

Worst show: 2003 Fleetcenter Boston: Phish 20th anniversary show. I had seen them prior to this show about 100 times. This show was terrible! They showed a 25 minute movie and then took a set break! The stupid movie should have been they set break! AND....the setlist for the show suuuuuuucked. That was the moment I just didn't care to see them anymore. I saw them a handle full of times over the next few years, but I haven't gone to one of their shows in over a decade. All because of that 20th anniversary show.

Last edited:
First: Helmet opening for Soundgarden (1994 Superunknown Tour)
Last: Allison Kraus and Willie Nelson (A few weeks ago)
Best: Mastodon with Coheed and Cambria (A few months ago)

First: Harry Chapin

Last: Billy Joel this past April in Miller Park in Milwaukee.

I'm not a big concert guy, and with the motel room we paid probably $200 apiece to see Joel. But unlike so many concerts where everybody's standing--and I hate that--we all had stadium seats. Nobody standing up in front of us, we could sit and enjoy the show.

And even tho it was expensive, I ended up enjoying it despite that. Shockingly entertaining.

Aussie Pink Floyd is playing Chateau Ste Michelle on Sept. I have 3rd row seats, and looking forward to my first time seeing them live

I could easily have chosen that as my favorite. Prepare for the full 8-minute version of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Pigs was great too. The 3 female backup singers stole the show with Great Gig in the Sky. Let me know afterwards what you thought.

1st & unequivocally the best: Lollapalooza 1992. Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Ice Cube, Soundgarden, Ministry, The Jesus & Mary Chain, and Red Hot Chili Peppers all in one epic day.

Last: Coheed & Cambria

First concert was The Jimi Hendrix Experience in 1968 in Lewiston, Me.
Best concert was Jethro Tull @ the Collisee de Quebec in 1972.
Last concert was Cowboy Junkies in Portland, Me. 2002

Best: Lots of them. Best of the Best: Chuck Berry, the Monkees in 1985, Wings Over America 1976, Linda Ronstadt early 1980s, Beach Boys a few years ago, Gary Puckett, The Rascals in the 1960s, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, John Fogerty, Little Anthony and the Imperials, Leslie Gore, the Grass Roots, Bad Company, Fats Domino, I know I'm forgetting some and I apologize as many are gone.

Worst: Barry Manilow, Jerry Lee Lewis

First: Pearl Jam

Last: Twenty one pilots

Best: Alice Cooper

In my teenage years and still a little now, I go to a lot of local metal & punk shows, but Alice Cooper put on such a good show. 5 years ago!

First concert was Van Halen when they were a bar band
First real concert was Pink Floyd "The Wall"
Funnest concert(s) were all the Oingo Boing Halloween concerts
Others were U2, B52's, Ziggy Marley, Smiths, Peter Gabriel, Styx, Joan Jet, and all the ones I can't remember for unspecified reasons :mug:

If we get to include Festivals, I would have to have a hard choice between tuska 2003 and tuska 2004.
Headliners were type 0 negative and Nightwish and both amazing.

First - Marshall Tucker Band, The Scope, Norfolk, July 1976 (Skynyrd was the headliner but cancelled at the last minute, MTB played almost 3 hours!)

Last - Dead and Company, Dos Equis Pavilion, Dallas, July 2019

Best - Stevie Ray Vaughan, I saw Stevie over 20 times from 1982-1990, had my mind blown every single time. Still have my unused tickets for a show in September 1990, hard to believe he's been gone 29 years...

Worst - Bob Dylan, Lubbock Memorial Center, October 1991 (crappy venue, crappier sound, crappiest performance, I walked out after an 45 minutes)

Worst - Bob Dylan, Lubbock Memorial Center, October 1991 (crappy venue, crappier sound, crappiest performance, I walked out after an 45 minutes)

I can relate. Dylan was the only concert I’ve ever walked out of. We saw him in 2010 or 11. It was an outdoor show in a baseball park. John Mellencamp was the opening act (and he was great). His techs had figured out how to match up the band’s PA with the ballpark PA. Dylan’s crew, apparently, fed the band’s audio straight to the ballpark PA, turned all the knobs to 11, and retired to the bus for a nap.

Dylan has never been known as a stellar vocalist, but the combo of his singing and the overdriven audio was almost unbearable. I’m quite familiar with Dylan’s catalog; most of the songs took until the second verse, or so, before I could even recognize the tune. “Everybody-y-y must get stoned-oned-oned”.

After about an hour we headed for the parking lot which was about two blocks away. When we reached the car we realized that we could hear the music a lot better from that distance. :rolleyes:

First: Nine Inch Nails, 1995 or so.
Last: Rascal Flatts, a few weeks ago. (Got $20 tickets, so figured might as well go...)
Best: Rush. Test For Echo tour in summer 1997, in Tinley Park IL.

First: Ozzy?? If I remember right
Last: Slayer, Anthrax
Best: Pink Floyd 1994 at the Rose Bowl. By far the best production of a live show of any band out there
Honorable mention: Australian Pink Floyd a couple years ago. They did the whole Dark Side of the Moon start to finish.
Dave Matthews Band, I've seen them a half dozen times and they always put on a great show

First - Pearl Jam at the (long since closed) Midsouth Coliseum in 94
Last - Either John Mayer with the wife at the FedEx Forum or Mayhem Fest in the parking lot of Memphis International Raceway (can't remember which happened more recently)

Best - Metallica and Corosion of Conformity after not being able to play during Summer Sanitarium show in Atlanta in 2000. Korn, Kid Rock, Powerman 5000, and SOAD at the original show. 3ish hours of Metallica and COC in the make up show

First? Jeez, I dunno. Backstreet boys in 1995?
Most recent shows: Herbie Hancock with Kamasi Washington last week, P-Funk the week before that.

Best is a 3-way tie in chronological order: Radiohead in 2003 right after Hail to the Thief came out. Incredible sound, perfect weather, played "Creep" for the first time in years, cheap tickets.

Dillinger Escape Plan farewell tour in 2017. Sold out immediately, was told by venue staff that tickets would be available at the door. Called in sick to work, got there two hours before doors and the door guy was like "nope, sold out means sold out." Later in the evening, someone overheard my plight and GAVE me her extra ticket from a friend who couldn't make it. Not sold, but gave. Show just got better from there. Unquestionably one of the best live bands ever. Just total chaos from start to finish.

Smashing Pumpkins reunion last year - I had incredible seats and they played for almost four hours. Everything I could have wanted to hear, including some really weird deep cuts. Horrible drunken crowd as is par for the course in Portland, but not enough to make the evening any less excellent.

First: Joe Satriani - Surfing w/ the Alien tour
Last: Sebastian Bach at the Coach House (Free Ticket, good show)
Best: How do I choose?
  • Maybe Tesla at the House of Blues, Anaheim.
  • or Pantera, Far Beyond Driven Tour.
  • or Amorphis, Land of a Thousand Lakes tour.
  • or Willie Nelson at the Hollywood Bowl w/ Symphony.
  • or maybe GWAR, circa 1995

First: Metallica...Black Album Tour. No opening act. The show started off on a large screen above the stage...all black. Then James Hetfield pulls back a shotgun (barrel had been over the camera lens). At least three hours of non-stop old school Metallica. I was 16 at the time and it was a game changer.

Last: Train with Goo Goo Dolls. Went with my wife...good show. Little more low-key.

Best: Foo Fighters with Weezer in Tampa back in early 2000's. Both bands played great shows...covered each other's songs...genuinely seemed like they were all revved up to be on stage. Can't say that for Weezer as of late with their hour and a half shows.

(Worst: sadly, I saw Aerosmith in the mid-90's and Tyler was half-cocked through the whole show and the band sounded terrible. I still love their music though.)

First: Three Dog Night, 1972
Best: The Who, 1982. (first of their many "final tours") Got backstage to meet the band. Pete Townsend was blowing through one spliff after another and wasted AF. Roger Daltrey was very personable.
Most recent: Earlier this month, one of those oldies tours of a bunch of '60s bands with one or two original members in each. It was a fun show, though.

First: Joe Satriani, sometime in the early 90s.
Last: Phish, Camden, NJ 6/29/2019.
Best: Phish, Big Cypress, FL 12/30-31/1999. Best by far. Anyone who went would say the same.

Last edited:
First was either Paul Butterfield Blues Band or BB King .. it was so long ago the chronology is uncertain. Mike Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop were both in Butterfield's band at the time.
Last was a festival performance by Railroad Earth to wrap up Delfest 2019
Best is too close to call .. saw the Allman's and a configuration of the Dead (Further) at Wanee Fest 2015 .. saw the Dead in college with the New Riders of the Purple Sage at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago (what a venue !) .. saw Amos Lee perform with The Atlanta Symphony at Symphony Hall a couple of years ago .. Paul Simon's Rhythm of the Saints Tour in Cleveland probably 25 years ago now.

1st? Maybe Led Zep in 77
Last?
Best: 1976 Walnut High School Amphitheater, Walnut California Lunch Time Concerts- Band: Van Halen. Line up DLR vocals, AVH drums, EVH guitar and some tall dude that wasn't Michael Anthony on bass. No new music but played a lot of Led Zep. Eddies guitar kept shorting out and he had his back turned to the crowd most of the time. VH was a well known local band and this gig was one of the last ones they did before they got signed. They signed a contract with the school to play lunch and the school dance later in the week- they never made it to the school dance.

First was Yes in 1976, the last was The Brian Setzer Orchestra last November (his annual Christmas tour).

The best was Pink Floyd in 1977 on the Animals tour.

Back