First lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chetduggan

Reaction score
Ok, finally got fridge in garage set to lager. What would be a good first attempt so I can get the process down. Oh yeah, what's the process?:eek:. I do all grain BIAB.

Here's my basic lagering procedure:

1) Primary at 50-55F until you reach 75% of expected FG. So if OG was 1.040, and expected FG was 1.010, 75% would be 1.022.
2) At 75% expected OG, diaceytl rest at room temp (about 70F) for 48 hours
3) After diacetyl rest, transfer to secondary and lager at 36F for 6-8 weeks.

That's what I do!

^This. The biggest change in lagering is getting the fridge/freezer so your pretty much done. It's not much harder after that.

Thanx TopherM, I'll give your procedure a try. I assume all lagers are about the same? Any I should try to avoid for my first?.

Topher's method is pretty good...there are minor changes and nuances but you get the gist. Don't miss the D-rest since it is crucial and the most imporant part. I would not do any type of "imperial" lager for your first.

A helles is pretty easy or a Munich Dunkel(I do mine because it's easy and hard to f-up)...it really depends what you like. If you are making the recipe from scratch, pilsners may seem easy but if things are out of balance they will show more than say a darker beer (I'n my oppinion). Stay under 6% ABV, don't miss the D rest and you should be fine. Good luck

Thanx scinerd3000, think I will go for a Munich Dunkel since I love dark beer. Prost!!!!! And thanx again! :D

Yes you would bottle condition just like an ale.

You can also try an Oktoberfest. It did that for my first lager and it came out great.

Any Bock also; Helles, maibock, traditional. TopherM's process is a good one, I ferment in the 48-50 range, as long as you are in the 75-80% complete range for the DR you will be fine.

My first lager is a few days away from being ready to drink! Still bottle conditioning. Made a Munich Helles. Hardest part was the primary fermentation, had it in a bucket with ice water in basement, but it was the week in March that temps here in MA were in the 80's...so trying to keep it right at 54 degrees was tough!

Anyway after lagering, the beer is was perfect light golden color and crystal clear! Can't wait to drink!

depending on how clear it drops, I usually add some yeast back in for carbonation. As opposed to 10-15million cells/mL, I use much much less. lets say 1/6th or a dry yeast package, hydrated and added with priming sugar. Use a nutural strain like Safale-05....The dry yeast tends to be easier but you can use pretty much anything

Latest posts

Back