First Lager and First big beer, Yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMikeAZ

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been able to find most my answers with the search, but could not find a few things that I am sure I am not the first to ask or even......worry about :p

And for some reason the advanced search does not work. Actually, I should say does not display for me. Anyone know why that is by chance?

Anyway, my brew is Potlatch Doppelbock in the complete joy of home brewing 3rd edition on page 33.

O.G. was 1.082.

I bought WYEAST 2633 Octoberfest Lager Blend and used that for pitching at 70 degrees.

The people at my LHBS suggested I pitch at that temp without a starter for this brew. This is what I have done.

Now I have been reading on wyeast's website and they said:
<quote>The Activator&#8482; is designed to inoculate five gallons of wort (up to 1.060 SG) </quote>

And they say use a starter. And from what I have read on this forum, I should have used a starter or 2 packets.

Should I get another packet of yeast when I am there and add it? Basically I don't really understand yeast strain [edit]what is does, looks like ect but I understand that a big wort can strain it[/edit]. If it only needs extra time in the fermenter or lagering, I have no problem with that but I didn't understand that to be a solution for yeast strain.

According to Mr. Malty's calculator:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

In order to pitch the right amount of yeast for this beer you would either need to make a 5 liter starter or 3 yeast packages. Lagers need a lot of yeast... and high gravity beers also need a lot of yeast. Will it ferment without this? Yes, most likely but you may or may not experience a long lag time and some off flavors due to the stressed yeast.

So I should then get 2 more yeast packages? It will be more than 24 hours since I pitched. Is that ok? Or is it too late and I should just wait? I am going to my brew store today anyway for a new hydrometer. I can get 2 more packets and pitch them right in.

Any advice?

<edit> Fermentation started within 18 hours.</.edit>

If you have already pitched then then the lag and growth phases are over and the yeast are most likely actively fermenting. I wouldn't bother adding any more yeast now.

What would happen if I was to add more yeast tonight? Would this be more harmful or would it help prevent/remove some of those off flavors?

What would happen if I was to add more yeast tonight? Would this be more harmful or would it help prevent/remove some of those off flavors?

There may be some that disagree with me, but I think brewing is half science and half magic. Whatever you do can be right or wrong, there is just no way of knowing up front. I brewed lagers before I found this forum and used a single vial of yeast. I never had any problems until I started using the 'science'. Science makes things more predictable but Magic makes better beer.

I just moved a batch of the Potlatch Doppelbock into a secondary. How did yours turn out? Did you repitch the yeast? I've read that with some doppelbocks you need to add additional yeast at bottling. Thoughts on that?

Back