First kettle sour recipe advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
I have ingredients for a German hef, but was wondering if i could turn it into a kettle sour. Was hoping someone could look over recipe and make sure it looks good? Thanks!

The good belly that people recommend using refers to the yogurt with live cultures?

Any recommendations for fruit and amount?

———-
All grain

6 lb. White wheat
4 lb. 2 row pale
0.5 oz northern brewer (60 minutes)
0.5 oz. Sea salt (10 minutes)
1 oz. Crushed coriander seed (5 minutes)

1 qt. Mango Goodbelly or 2x Goodbelly StraightShot (either way, about 40 billion cells)

wlp300 yeast

fruit purée

Steps:

1. BIAB mash as normal at 152 deg F.
  2. Remove kettle from heat, cool to ~90-100F.
  3. add ~10mL 88% lactic acid. My ph meter is broke. I think i have some test strips.
  4. Add 1/2 qt. Mango Goodbelly or 2x Goodbelly StraightShot.
  5. Keep temp between 90-100F for 18-36 hours, or until desired level of sourness is achieved
  6. Once appropriately soured, return kettle to burner and bring to a boil.
  7. Once boiling, add 1 oz. Hops pellets.
  8. After 5 minutes, add 0.5 oz. sea salt. After 10 minutes, add 1 oz. crushed coriander. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and cool to about 68F.
  9. aerate, pitch rehydrated yeast.
  10. Ferment out
  11. Add fruit purée for 1 week
  12. Keg Carb to about 3.0 co2 volume

Have you looked into the co pitch sour method ? It's way easier to me then kettle sour and it's less risky . As for sour I took @RPh_Guy advice and been doing co pitching and using 70% 2 row and 30% white wheat . 5 to 6 # of fruit and it's been a homerun every time .

no i haven’t heard of it. I’ll do a search.

Have you looked into the co pitch sour method ? It's way easier to me then kettle sour and it's less risky . As for sour I took @RPh_Guy advice and been doing co pitching and using 70% 2 row and 30% white wheat . 5 to 6 # of fruit and it's been a homerun every time .

found a thread that mentioned it. So does this require having a separate fermenter and beer lines so future batches aren’t contaminated?

found a thread that mentioned it. So does this require having a separate fermenter and beer lines so future batches aren’t contaminated?

Nope . No issues at all. Just mash like normal , boil , dont use any hops in the boil, cool wort , transfer to fermenter and pitch yeast. I've been using wlp644. 48 hrs after pitching I add 1 container of Goodbellys blueberry acai probiotic juice . On day 7 I add 5-6 # of blueberries. On day 17 i dry hop with .5 oz then on day 21 I bottle .

Attachments

• IMG_4449.jpg
    IMG_4449.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 33
Nope . No issues at all. Just mash like normal , boil , dont use any hops in the boil, cool wort , transfer to fermenter and pitch yeast. I've been using wlp644. 48 hrs after pitching I add 1 container of Goodbellys blueberry acai probiotic juice . On day 7 I add 5-6 # of blueberries. On day 17 i dry hop with .5 oz then on day 21 I bottle .
Looks delicious

Meijer has good belly. So i think I’ll try and copitch with ingredients above and see what happens unless someone says otherwise.
I recommend the post-sour process if you want to maximize the hefe banana+clove flavor. Add the Good Belly about 24 hours after the yeast.

Make sure you don't add the hops before fermentation! You can add a hop tea or dry hop after it sours to your taste.

Cheers

Hello,

I am BRAND new to brewing having made an AG English Brown Ale that turned out wonderfully as my first try and another batch of the same thing in my fermenter now. I have been looking up sours and I am not going the 8 plus months route, then came across kettle sours and now this co-pinch type. I love it and want to give it a try and do it right.

I have no idea of the etiquette on this sight, you have given wonderful advice on what you do but I am wondering about the whole recipe you do this with? Is it wrong to ask? Thank you kindly.

Welcome to HBT ! Yeah normally youd start your own thread , but it's ok. Your new , now you know

I use 70% 2 row and 30% white wheat .
I pitch the yeast then 2 days later I dump a container of Goodbellys blueberry acai juice . Then when fermentation is almost done I add 6#'s of blueberries that had been frozen then thawed. Some people puree them and some dont . I dont and I just dump them in . Never been a problem. Then a few days before I package I dry hop with .5oz of Azacca or Mosaic. This is a 5 gallon batch

Look up in the search box for co pitch . It's really easy . @RPh_Guy is the one who got me going with these .

Welcome to HBT ! Yeah normally youd start your own thread , but it's ok. Your new , now you know

I pitch the yeast then 2 days later I dump a container of Goodbellys blueberry acai juice . Then when fermentation is almost done I add 6#'s of blueberries that had been frozen then thawed. Some people puree them and some dont . I dont and I just dump them in . Never been a problem. Then a few days before I package I dry hop with .5oz of Azacca or Mosaic. This is a 5 gallon batch

Look up in the search box for co pitch . It's really easy . @RPh_Guy is the one who got me going with these .

Thank you so very much! I think there may be a hunt on my hands to find the Goodbellies juice!! And I have no idea what a thread is.... other than for sewing.

Hello gentlemen!
I have another question.... how do you stop the souring? I’ve seen some videos they bring it to boil again after a few days. Does it stop on own? Thank you again!

Hello gentlemen!
I have another question.... how do you stop the souring? I’ve seen some videos they bring it to boil again after a few days. Does it stop on own? Thank you again!

You don't have to stop it. Generally, the souring will stop when you add hops or when it reaches pH 3.2-3.4 (becomes too acidic for lacto to multiply). You can add hops by dry hopping or in a hop tea.

The lactobaccilus plantarum found in goodbelly juice or probiotic capsules does not grow in presence of hops so you don't have to worry about about it infecting future brews as you would in the case of making a kettle sour with a different lacto strain. Also fermenting at the same time with the yeast creates co2 gas which is beneficial for the l. plantarum.

This whole discussion here is called a "thread" ☺️

Read more about this method of souring here on this other thread :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

Last edited:
You don't have to stop it. Generally, the souring will stop when you add hops or when it reaches pH 3.2-3.4 (becomes to acidic for lacto to multiply). You can add hops by dry hopping or in a hop tea.

The lactobaccilus plantarum found in goodbelly juice or probiotic capsules does not grow in presence of hops so you don't have to worry about about it infecting future brews a you would i the case of making a kettle sour with a different lacto strain. Also fermenting at the same time with the yeast creates co2 gas which is beneficial for the l. plantarum.

This whole discussion here is called a "thread" ☺

Read more about this method of souring here on this other thread :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fast-souring-modern-methods.670176/

You are magical!! Thank you so much for your wonderful answer. I appreciate your thoroughness and time. I’m so new to brewing so all information is wonderful. I’ve got this batch sitting with goidbellies now and will be adding fruit this weekend! Super excited!!
Thank you again!

Thank you so much! We followed your directions but had to use vanilla and cardamom Goodbellies straight shots because that’s all we have available in our area and I’m so pleased with the product.
It was our second batch we’d ever brewed. Thank you again for your time and advice!!
74FA5AC7-8BC2-4091-A049-8EA7F09510C9.jpeg

Back