First kegged beer, too much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sucram1989

Reaction score
This is my first beer in a keg. It's a cream stout. I force carbonated it at 30psi for about 3 hours. I did this 3 days ago and I'm still pouring 75% foam. Is my beer over carbonated? If so, what can I do about that. If not, any ideas as to what the problem could be. And before y'all ask, my beer tube is 6ft long.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

3/16th tubing? Serving pressure? Did you hit your relief valve after day 3 before dropping to serving pressure? Style of kegorator?

Pouring pressure set at 9psi, yes I released the excess pressure before pouring, I don't know what size beer tube I gave but I got it from the homebrew store so I'm pretty sure it's the right size, and it's a keezer I built

It is my understanding, that in life, you can never get too much head.

Thank you. I'll be here all night. Don't forget to tip your server.

While you are here, help the guy.

So OP, did you release all pressure in the keg then let it serve at whatever PSI? If not, do that. Say it is 10 PSI…release the pressure from the keg then let it serve at 10 PSi. 10 PSI is just an example. BTW.

Pouring pressure set at 9psi, yes I released the excess pressure before pouring, I don't know what size beer tube I gave but I got it from the homebrew store so I'm pretty sure it's the right size, and it's a keezer I built

I would turn off the gas. release the pressure again and let it sit for a day. Release the pressure again. Then turn the gas back on at 9 and see if it's less foamy.

Was it cold when you put it at 30? Is the line cold now? Are you opening the tap all the way? If you don't open it up, I have found you get more foam.

I'm not sure how to fix the problem for your current keg, but when I went to 10' lines it solved my excess foam issues.

What temp is your keezer?

Keezer is at 40F, I released all the pressure from the keg after carbonation down to 0, but it won't seal well without gas, you can hear it leaking if I don't have at least 8psi on it, so I left it at about 9psi with gas on constant, it was cold when I carbonated, it is still cold, and yes I open the tap all the way when I pour.

Should I still release all the pressure and turn the gas off?

Increase your beer line length to 12-15 ft, keep the pressure at 10-12 psi @ 38-40 degrees, and your problems will magically disappear.

You should have to read that and click OK before entering this section.

Sticky Thread! (assuming it is overcarbed)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/overcarbed-keg-heres-instant-solution-127655/

I must say, I cringe every time I read 30 PSI. Just not worth it in my opinion. Two weeks at 40*, 10-12 PSI and it will be perfect every time.

You haven't mentioned the beer line length or diameter (it should say it right on the tubing), so I think it is premature for people to be telling you to increase your beer line length. I have used 4' of 3/16" with a picnic tap at 10 PSI with no foaming issues.

What type of faucets do you have? Picnic tap? Or a real faucet? If you have a metal faucet have you tried to pour more than one beer? If the faucet is warm the temperature change will cause CO2 to come out of the solution. Once the faucet cools down it will no longer foam.

Sticky Thread! (assuming it is overcarbed)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/overcarbed-keg-heres-instant-solution-127655/

I must say, I cringe every time I read 30 PSI. Just not worth it in my opinion. Two weeks at 40*, 10-12 PSI and it will be perfect every time.

You haven't mentioned the beer line length or diameter (it should say it right on the tubing), so I think it is premature for people to be telling you to increase your beer line length. I have used 4' of 3/16" with a picnic tap at 10 PSI with no foaming issues.

What type of faucets do you have? Picnic tap? Or a real faucet? If you have a metal faucet have you tried to pour more than one beer? If the faucet is warm the temperature change will cause CO2 to come out of the solution. Once the faucet cools down it will no longer foam.

My beer line is 6' long I don't know the diameter. I bought it at the homebrew store, so I would assume it is a good size. It doesn't say on the tubing itself. It only says "bevlex 200 by kuriyama PVC tubing NSF-51". Faucet is a chrome faucet and is cold. And I have tried pouring up to 3 beers at once, and it still is very foamy. It gets a little less foamy tho.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398696608.295368.jpg
This is a pour after I already poured one and dumped it

When I increased my hose length from 4 ft to 10 ft the foam almost entirely went away.:mug:

If you have 6' of 3/16" line and your beer is properly carbed at 9 PSI then you should be fine.

Getting that much foam at 9 PSI tells me that you are over carbonated.

I always just turn my pressure down as low as it can get after it's properly carbed. Usually it's just 3 psi or so.

But yeah . . . longer lines could help too

I'm kegging a milk stout, both a first (kegging and the stout) for me so this is a great thread. 5 gal will be headed to a little fridge at 55*. I was planning on a pressure of 10psi to carbonate for about a week. My serving hose is 3' and all was bought today. Good, bad or indifferent?

I'm kegging a milk stout, both a first (kegging and the stout) for me so this is a great thread. 5 gal will be headed to a little fridge at 55*. I was planning on a pressure of 10psi to carbonate for about a week. My serving hose is 3' and all was bought today. Good, bad or indifferent?

While a few people claim to get decent pours with shorter than 6' lines in their home set up, I don't actually know of anybody personally who does.

I started with 6' (came with my set up), then went to 8', then 10'. It's pretty good now for almost all of my beer styles, but I wish I would have just started with 12' to begin with.

Something to consider also is that warm beer foams more, so you'll get a much foamier beer at 55 degrees than at 35 degrees- and 12' lines would definitely help balance that system.

At 55 degrees, 10 psi will be very lightly carbed (nearly flat), since carbonation is definitely temperature dependent.
Check out a force carb chart here: http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Got it!! Nice chart...I saw it earlier but just spent some time with it. For this stout...50* at 13psi for a week...grabbing 12' of hose before it does a debut. What's the theory/idea behind the serving hose length, just not clicking with what little I know. Thanks!!!

Just fixed my problem...think it was just over carbonated. I let sit for two days with no pressure then put pressure it to about 7psi (just enough to slowly pour it out) and dropped the temp to 32F. Poured a great beer today with a perfect amount of head. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398908005.222184.jpg

Got it!! Nice chart...I saw it earlier but just spent some time with it. For this stout...50* at 13psi for a week...grabbing 12' of hose before it does a debut. What's the theory/idea behind the serving hose length, just not clicking with what little I know. Thanks!!!

It simply has to do with restriction of the beer line.

Think about a high pressure coming out of a hose. If a hose is longer, the flow is easier to slow down. That's the reason for longer serving lines. With a short line, a beer can come blasting out like a fire hose, causing foaming and "knocking" the carbonation out of the beer and making a huge head. A longer line will mean more restriction for the flow.

Back