First keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldmanbrew

Reaction score
I just kegged for the first time, I don't want to force carbonate, how long and what PSI should set it to.?

Technically if you are carbing using a CO2 tank, it is considered force carbonation. My guess is that you intend to use the slow and steady method versus the crank and shake... How long and what PSI will depend on two factors; one, what style beer and two, what temp you will be carbing at.

Different styles of beer require different levels of carbonation referred to volumes of CO2. Stouts for example have less carbonation than a hefeweisse.

The other issue is temperature. The colder a liquid, the easier it accepts Co2. So a keg at 15 PSI at 34 degrees will carb faster and take in more CO2 than a keg at same pressure but at 50 degrees.

Here is a link to a carbonation chart that will guide you on both fronts. I usually carb at 40 degrees and let it sit for at least two weeks, three is better. I have also sped things up by cranking to 35-40psi for 24 hours (no shaking, just let it sit), then backing off to desired pressure for the remainder. Once you get it down, you can carb in a few days instead of weeks without over carbing, which is common with the crank and shake method.

Happy brewing!

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Back