First Keg - 4th of July Party

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesjensen1068

Reaction score
Ok...I kegged for the first time. I've been brewing for a year and a half. Don't have my keezer up and running yet so I will be chilling the keg on ice prior to the party.

I primed the keg with 1/3 cup of sugar, it'll hit the 2 week mark just before the party.

I was told to purge the Co2 from the tank, then hook up the gas and set to the serving pressure. I thought I'd go around 8 psi as this is a British Bitter.

My question is once I start to chill it, how soon do I purge and put it on gas, will the 8 psi be high enough? It will be outside next to the bar being served through a cobra tap and 5ft of line.

Thanks and Cheers :mug:

One thing to consider is sediment. It will collect on the bottom of the keg and if you move the keg alot, it will all be resuspended. Is the party at your house or somewhere else?

You may want to think about hooking up the gas a bit earlier in the game (a couple days before) in order to both check carbonation levels, and also to dispense some of the sediment that has collected on the bottom. If the beer is not carbed properly, then you still have a chance to keep it on the gas at a higher pressure until the party.

I would even go as far as trying to get that keg cold overnight, and dumping the first pint or so out in the morning (drink it, yeast is full of B vitamins that will get you through the day!)

As far as serving, yes 8 psi at 5 ft of line will do fine.

Thanks kpr121--I appreciate the quick response. The party is at my house so there will be minimal moving of the keg...thanks for reminding me about the sediment..I'll make a point to move it carefully. I guess even if the beer is a little undercarbed that will be ok as it's a British Bitter.

Cheers

Glad to hear it! Now you will be inundated with people asking you to "bring some of that homemade beer you make" to every event/party/kid's baseball game you attend.

Back