First Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsyone

Reaction score
Another Craigslist win!!! Found this 10 cubic foot upright freezer only a half hour away for $40. The one on the right.
null_zps2ee1415f.jpg

null_zps607e5ad0.jpg

Here's the cool part about it. Does this weird self sealing thing. Look real close at the magnetic molding thingy and compressor turning on in video. I'm sure some of you have seen these but a first for me.
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/...70BFDE3-2335-000002F163D65127_zps1342c39e.mp4
This will start out as a very simple build only using picnic taps for now. The scary part is bending the freezer coils towards the back of the freezer without crimping or bending them. More to come as I am waitiing for my corny to arrive as well as regulator, co2 setup and external temp control.

I bought one of these off craigslist a while back. I ended up selling it since I couldn't figure out how to safely bend the shelves with the tubing in there. How do you plan to bend them?

I think the trick is to cut away the shelves from the cooling coils with some heavy duty wire or bolt cutters in order to work with the coils and bend to the rear of the freezer. Here's a close up pic. Shouldn't be too difficult to do, being careful not to snip the coils. I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm a bit nervous in this attempt since I am impatient by nature and this is going to take a lot.

image-687396236.jpg

Update: I have done more research on these coil builds and it appears that most brewers run into condensation issues which leads to mildew, mold etc. They also don't circulate air well and I don't like the possibility of uneven temp top and bottom. It was a good thought but this freezer will stay a freezer and will replace a small chest freezer that I have. Back searching Craigslist again for a fridge similar to the one next to the freezer in the first pic.

Well, I am simplifying my project and going with an older 4.4 cu ft dorm fridge. It's ugly brown and with some modification, should fit two ball locks. I know this isn't as interesting as my Keezer coil transformation but all I want is cold keg beer that is simple and functional. Just bent freezer tray towards back of fridge which was a piece of cake. I did crack and poked a small hole in the ceiling but very minor. Will prob lube it up with some insulator goo.
null_zps6cf25c87.jpg

null_zpsf7b239cf.jpg

null_zps3e4392fd.jpg

null_zps61e63784.jpg

Back