****. First infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the responses. I've never had trub float to the top in the secondary before. Will it fall out of suspension again? I don't have any means to cold crash.

I have the hop bag weighted but have it tied off to keep the hops off the bottom. I should let her go down all the way to the bottom?

It's best to keep those bags submerged. If they're too long, put a knot in the loose top part.

But more importantly, you have way too much headspace for a secondary. Oxidation... and more chance on infection.

It's best to keep those bags submerged. If they're too long, put a knot in the loose top part.

But more importantly, you have way too much headspace for a secondary. Oxidation... and more chance on infection.

Agreed. If you do a secondary, a carboy is a great choice because it has a much narrower headspace. If you have it in a bucket, it's ok for the very short term I suppose, but the headspace is usually the cause of infections. You almost never see a topped-up carboy with an infection, but frequently an infection photo is posted because the beer has been in a bucket with a big headspace for a long time after fermentation has ended, or when it's in a bucket for secondary.

The yeast clumpies look ok for now, but I'd bottle or keg soon for sure.

Thanks. I just bought a 60L Speidel fermenter (10 gallon batches). Do you think going from boil kettle to fermenter with no secondary is too much head space? This was a "test batch" using the Speidel and racking from primary to that. Plus I was giddy about trying it out!

Latest posts

Back