first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john901

Reaction score
Not really a question but an observation. I had done 37 batches without an infection using an iodine solution. Then that went empty i got star san because everyone raves about it. That's when i got my first infection. Seems to be lacto large white bubble pellicle. Not sure what i did wrong batch 38 was good except i split it in two. The 2nd i dry hopped that got a light infection so far it has carbonated much faster than the other portion. (tastes good though) Batch 39 had the same light film bubbles at transferring to secondary at bottling day i had a real nice thick pellicle. I decided to rack it and bottle it. I am going to watch these two batches closely, and the next few as well.
One question is can i effective clean my equipment to ensure i do not get the lacto infection again? And well also what in the world am i doing wrong with the star san? I use 1 oz per 5 gallons and let it sit much loner than one minute.

In my experience, unknown lacto infections are usually caused by airborn dust from grinding grain. Do you happen to grind anywhere near your fermenters?
Also do you tend to open your fermenters throughout the time?

A good 30 + minute bleach soak of your equipment will kill off lacto

A good 30 + minute bleach soak of your equipment will kill off lacto

So will 3 min SanStar or 5 min Iodophor *shrug*

The only time I've ever got lacto was from dry hopping, but more likely you have ethanol converting bacilli such as Acetobacter and/or Gluconobacter. Did your fermenter smell sour or like vinegar?

I typically grind my grain into my fermenter pour the grain in the kettle, then clean and sanitize the fermenter. Those two batches were extract only though. I do not open the fermenter until i transfer to secondary then again when i bottle. Beer smells and tastes fine as of now anyway.

Back